EPILOGUE

NTOMBENHLE MAYIZA

Life is full of surprise I must say. No one expected the bombshell dropped on us the way it did.  I found it very difficult to accept that I am married to my own brother like, what are we? Siblings-in-law? That’s absolutely crazy! No wait, the craziest thing is that I fell pregnant with his children. Why didn’t I see that at first I mean, we have a little bit of resemblance but, I look more like my mother and I am light skinned too.

A ritual for me was done so that there would be peace and believe me, I have found peace. My father was very broken but he eventually gave in and supported me but, he never accept the whole thing which ended up killing him. Three months later he died of a heart attack, my mother did not take it easy. She ended up losing her sanity too and ended up in a private hospice till today.

It’s been four years since the burial of our children and we have made peace with that. We decided not to dwell so much into it because it only brings sadness, pain and tears to us but, we do go at time and visit our children in their graves in Bhisho. Oh, MaKhulu lived another year before she left us too. She was very old and tired anyway, she deserved to rest. Luyolo’s parents also divorced after the Makhulu's funeral.

I completed my degree and I opened a children’s hospital, one in Joburg and one here in Durban. They are both operating very well. This one here in Durban is a private hospital and the one in Joburg is a government hospital.

Oh, Yoniswa. She admitted that it was her who sent all those people to start up the fire at our house with alcohol and cloths. ALL BECAUSE OF JEALOUSY! She couldn’t survive jail time so, she committed suicide, poor thing.

I wake up from the bed and arrange the covers neatly and tidy. I open up the curtains and then slide open the sliding door leading to the Balcony. I welcome the fresh breeze. I look at the waves from the beach, it is so calming and peaceful to wake up to the sound of the beach waves hitting against the big rocks on the shore. We couldn’t continue living in Joburg so, after the house was fixed, we decided not to live there anymore in fact, we bought a house here in Durban permanently. We did not sell the house but, my sister Mbalenhle and Neo moved in. Our parents’ house is now a family house. No one lives there but, visitors stay there.

I walk back inside closing the sliding heading to the bathroom to take a sweet shower. After the shower, I settled for a red body con dress and slippers. I just tied my braids to the back and headed downstairs and there is so much noise happening. OH MY WORD! I run to him, he catches me and spins me around. I can’t help but cry.

“You said you are coming back next week!” He gives me another kiss before putting me down. He gives me another warm hug. “I miss you so much.” He went on a business trip a week ago in Polokwane, Limpopo. He was supposed to come back next week.

“I miss you too. I arrived while you were sleeping, you seemed peaceful so I didn’t want to disturb you. Come here.” We smoosh again.

“Mommy.” Oh guys, meet my baby girl, Melokuhle. She is eight months old. Luyolo won’t rest until there is a soccer team in this house but, I am on contraceptives, I cannot afford to have another baby now. I gave birth to her naturally and I want to say this to all woman who are pregnant and those who are planning to get pregnant, YOUR THING WILL PAIN in the maternity ward!

Wait, you thought Luyolo and I are no more? Well, well. We thought so too but, love got a bitter of us. He apologized to me for being a jerk and I forgave him. Long story short, Love conquered all. Sacrifices to the ancestors had to be made like, he sold his company and used it to start a new one here which is doing veeerrrry well here in Durban. Ever since, we have been very happy and living normal. We are husband and wife and we told ourselves that it is going to remain like that forever. Another ceremony was made for us for the ancestors to bless us, it all went well.

“Good morning baby.” I open my arms for her she crawls faster to me drooling. I pick her up and peck her all over her face, she giggles.
“Morning Nokuzola, they didn’t give you any problem?” Yep, Nokuzola, Luyolo’s little sister is here. I called her over to come and visit since Luyolo was away.
“Not at all sesi. Luyolo arrived on time. They woke up in his presence.” I nod.
“Enzo, what’s wrong baby?” He looks sad. He is four years old and looks so much like Luyolo. At least my baby girl took after me. I cannot have a lot of Luyolos in my house. He points at his father.
“Luu, you are coming from where you are coming from to come make my baby sad? Go back, go!” I playfully hit him, the kids start giggling, lightening up the mood.

“Zola, please pass me that thing.” Luyolo says. Nokuzola excitedly obeys and then hands him a nice paper bag, he hands it to me. “Happy mother’s day baby.” I even forgot that it is that day today. Well, that is because there wasn’t breakfast in bed today.

I open up the bag and there are two fancy jewelry boxes. Melokuhle keeps on disturbing me so I put her down, she cries. I give her the empty paper bag, she gladly takes it. I open the first one smiling from ear to ear.

“Oh my goodness baby, diamond earrings and a necklace?”
“You like them?” Is he kidding me?
“What!? I loooove them.” I wear my earrings.
“Let me help you with that.” I turn around as he puts the necklace around my neck. After he is done, I turn and kiss him unannounced.
“If I got the kiss now, I wonder what next I’ll be getting after the second gift.” He says. I don’t even waste anymore time. I open the second gift and start screaming to what’s inside.
“Baby! You are kidding right?” I can’t hold back my tears.
“Nope. Go and check it out outside.” I scream once more jumping before I run outside living Melokuhle startled and crying. She likes drama and attention that one. “Melo, Mommy is too excited! I can’t give you breast milk now!”

I stumble upon a charcoal black BMW X6 with sunroof. A boquet of red roses, a champagne bottle and a hamper of assorted chocolates and sweets on the bonnet looking at me.

“No ways! I am dreaming.” I run to it and open the door in the driver’s seat and hop in. Nokuzola is still taking pictures and a video. “Thank you husband I love you so much! I love you more than the word itself.” I get off from the car. He is going to get it all tonight. I am going all lengths for him. I hug him with Melokuhle in his arms.
“You deserve it mommy. I love you.”
“I love you.” Melokuhle repeats after her father in her baby language. “Come here boy.” Enzokuhle comes running, I pick him up. He is not heavy at all.
“Okay now, pose for the camera and say cheese.” Nokuzola says.
“Cheese!” We all say except for Melokuhle.
“Cheese.” At her own time!

Some wounds do not heal with time, they heal only with love. Love teaches us we can still go on a little more even after falling apart. We still chose to grow despite all the flaws, despite everything that we went through. We did not give up the hope of living, God is there for us.

THE END.