THIRTY-THREE

THANDEKA MHLONGO

You know, ever since my best friend got married, things between us changed, I don’t know how they’ve changed but, they are no longer the same. A few days before she mysteriously disappeared, she reached out to me and invited me to the launch of the renaming or rebranding rather, of their families' company but, I turned down the invitation which I wish I didn’t and being honest, I think that, I am the one who has been distancing myself away from her and now she is gone, my best friend is out there and, I am not sure where and who would take her… I miss her a lot and I wish I did things differently before, I pray that she comes back home safe. (Crying).

“Mama.” Oh that’s my nine months daughter… Wait, did she say mama?
“Say that again baby, say mama.” This is the first word that has came out of my baby’s mouth, it is so overwhelming that my baby just said 'Mama'.
“Come on baby, say mama, mama.” She just looks at me as if she is studying my face, or maybe she can feel my foul mood. I quickly wipe my tears and get her from the crib, I love my baby.
“Mama loves you, okay?” I kiss her all over her face, her giggles make my heart juggle.
“Mama.” Oh, she says it at her own time.

***

LUYOLO MAYIZA

I walk into his office like I own it, he raises his head and looks at me sitting behind the desk as I stand in front of him.

“This is not your company where you do as you please, do you understand?” I chuckle shaking my head.
“What are you doing to find my wife, detective?” This cop does not even offer me a seat so, I just offer myself one.
“I am busy Mayiza, you don’t get to come here and question my job.” He gets back to whatever he was doing before I came in.
“I want to see the footage.” I demand.
“What footage?” He still has his eyes on the pile of papers on the table.
“Don’t act dumb on me, you know which footage I am on about.” He leans back on the chair and looks at me.
“You think this your father’s house to make demands? Don’t think because you have all money to buy the world you can come and disrespect my territory, I can still put you in those cells, you hear me?” Look at him, making threats… I smug.
“Okay.” I shrug. “Now, the footage?” I am going to annoy him until he gives me what I want.
“I won’t give you the footage, forget it.”
“Chabedi, you probably missed something there, so I want to see it.” He shakes his head.
“There is nothing to see! We missed nothing so, if you can please leave everything to us, we'll find your wife.”
“Like hell you will! You are taking your sweet time to find my wife! It’s been two damn weeks and you still have not found a single lead, not even a suspect!” I lash out.

This is taking a strain in me, I am losing my focus and on the other hand, my son I getting discharged, now I have to take him home to a foul environment.

“Calm down…”
“Don’t fucking tell me what to do, it is my wife that is out there, damn it.” He sighs. “I am going to sit here until I see the video; I am not going anywhere.” I make myself comfortable on the chair.

***

His voice is so loud like he wasn’t on the death bed not so long ago. I can hear him from the corridor as I walk towards his ward. I stand by the door and lean on it when I see him blabbering with my father and mother, he sounds happy, too happy but he still shows a bit weakness, he looks tired and skinny, oh son. I wish to take all your pain.

“Daddy, what did you bring for me?” They all turn to look at the direction to where I am standing, I walk to his side of the bed.
“Hey, buddy.” I put the doggy bag on the table and fist bump him. “I got you your favourite meal.” He frowns.
“He refused to eat earlier.” My mother says.
“Leave him, he does not want to leave the hospital.” My father adds.
“Do you want to stay here forever? Lindo, we can’t always come here to see you, we want you back home. Give other babies a chance to this bed, it needs to save another baby like you, just like you. So, you are going to eat this food and finish it, right?” His eyes glisten with tears, that’s not going to work, not today.
“Lindokuhle.” He blinks, his tears fall off. “Nankhulu will feed you and if you finish your food, we will fetch you tomorrow.”
“Will you come with mommy Enhle?” I heave a sigh.
“Mommy Enhle heard that you don’t want to eat your food, that is why she won’t come with me.”
“But daddy, I am eating.”
“Okay, show daddy that you are eating.” My mother takes the food and starts feeding Lindokuhle.
“You make daddy happy when you are eating. When you come back home, I will buy your favourite ice-cream.” He nods like a happy child he is. He is even enjoying the food.
“What time is Yoniswa coming?” I almost forgot that my mother and father have errands to do.
“Err, I’ll call her on the way. I have to go to the office, I have a meeting with a client from Africa Goods And Services… Lindokuhle, ndiyaku thanda yeva?” (Lindokuhle, I love you okay?) He just nods. I kiss him once again and leave the hospital.