Birthday

A/N: Hi there! Just wanted to let you guys know. I am American, but I will try to use British terminology as much as I can. Second, the events in this story may not happen in the exact same timeline as they did in real life. Thank you.

987 words
~
July 26th, 1972

Brian's POV

The whole band was sitting around the table singing the birthday song to Roger. He was turning 23, which didn't excite him too much. He considered it a boring number. I watched as he blew out the candles, and then we all playfully cheered. It had been somewhat of an eventful day, especially for me and Roger. He had been acting weirder than usual, but I guess I was too. Every time we would make some type of contact with each other, we would awkwardly blush and quickly stop the contact.

Earlier today, when he insisted on making the pasta for his birthday dinner himself, he eventually caved and asked me to help him. He didn't know how to simply chop up vegetables correctly! I grabbed his hand that was on the knife and cut the vegetables, my hand on his the whole time. We were close together, with my stomach touching his back most of the time. After we were done, we looked at each other in the eyes, both of us blushing heavily. I could've sworn I saw him constantly looking at my lips, and I was looking down at his. Suddenly he broke out of his stupor and turned back around to the pasta.

"Thanks for the cooking lesson.", he quickly said. I nodded awkwardly, and we looked at each other once more before I walked away.

When we were eating his birthday pasta, I decided to look up and observe him. He was sucking the noodles up with his lips tightly pursed and his eyes holding a look of concentration. My dirty mind started to think of him sucking something else and looking like that-...

I quickly stopped myself from thinking like that, as I didn't want my "excitement" showing in the middle of Rog's birthday dinner. I was eagerly waiting for the dinner to be over, and for Freddie and John to go to bed. We all shared an apartment, and there were two people to a bedroom. The bedrooms consisting of only one bed, and of course I share a bed with Roger. I have been crushing on Roger for over two years now, but I'm not sure I have a chance. The only person in the band who I know to be gay is Freddie. He came out to us recently and revealed that he was dating Jim Hutton.

I did have a slight sense of hope. I had noticed that he seemed a bit more shy around me than usual, and he seemed to make physical contact with me on every occasion. I had decided to make a move the next morning before we got up for the day. I didn't want to ruin his birthday if he didn't feel the same way.
~
The Next Morning

I woke up with butterflies in my stomach. I was about to ask Rog out. After two years of waiting, I was finally about to ask him. I was slightly alarmed when I felt the mattress shift beside me. I looked over to see Roger rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and my gay panic intensified.

 I looked over to see Roger rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and my gay panic intensified

He slowly turned to me with a small smile. "Good morning.", he said quietly. God he's cute. "Morning.", I replied. Roger got up to use the toilet, so I anxiously waited for him to return. After about two minutes, he returned to bed. It was a bit early so we weren't ready to get up yet.

I decided it was time to stop stalling and ask him. I would get nowhere if I waited too long. "Rog, can I ask you something?", I cautiously asked him.

"Yea sure.", he said.

"I really hope you won't hate me after I ask this, but it's been driving me crazy for so long."

"Bri! I could never hate you!"

"Rog. I have been holding this in for too long. First I need to clarify something. I am gay. When I told you about my few girlfriends in college, I kind of lied a bit. I did have a girlfriend. But I didn't feel anything for her. I realized that I was attracted to men, and so I got a boyfriend. We only broke up because he moved away."

I could see Roger's mouth still open in shock. He noticed me looking at him and put his head down. I was afraid I had upset him. Just as I started to fear the worst, Roger responded.

"Bri. I see the look on your face. I'm not mad. I'm just a bit shocked, that's all. I didn't think you were the type of guy to like other guys, you know? I totally accept you though. It would be crazy for me not to, because, um, I'm the same way."

He had mumbled the last part, but I still caught it. My stomach started fluttering. Did Rog just say he was gay. I needed to clarify.

"Rog. Are you saying, you're gay too?"

"Yes, Brian. There's two more gay queens in the band."

I couldn't contain my excitement. I might have a chance! I couldn't get ahead of myself though. He may not like me back.

"So you told me you were gay Bri. What's the thing you wanted to ask?"

This was my chance. It was now or never.

"Rog. I'll just say it straight. I have a very big crush on you." I watched his eyes get wide. I thought I saw a hint of a smile? "Rog, will you go out with me?" I nervously waited for his response.

"Bri! I'd love to!"