Chapter:12

Gon POV

We come around the final turn of the base. Almost every cadet has arrived at the finish cheering. Even a few of the COs have appeared, Watching interested.

  I look to Leorio for a quick glance and see him appearing slightly winded. Both of us have kept up well and adrenaline is starting to fade for both of us.

   "C'mon. I can win this!" I scold myself internally. I push the last bit of speed I can muster. My heart pounding in my ears and my feet thumping on the ground. It's coming to the final few meters.

   We tear past Charles and tumble to the ground attempting to stop. Landing flat on our arse. "So....who won?" Leorio asks in between panting breaths.

"Well. It's actually hard to say. It was really close." Charles replies. Nurse Bisky appears behind him. "From what I could tell, it was Leorio's foot who passed Charles first."

"Bloody hell yes!" He says thrusting his fist in the air. I fall onto my back and groan.

"Fairs, fair mate. You should still heed my warning." He rolls his eyes and falls back beside me.

As I catch my breath I let my gaze wander around and I see many of the cadets exchanging money from bets. "Wonder how much some of them were betting?" Leorio asks.

"I would guess maybe 10-15 pounds at most. You better not get lashed you cock. Else I'll kick your arse during training."

  He waves me off. "I hears ya. But that's not up to you, is it? You lost the bet."

  "Yeah I know. I'm still warning ya." I pop his chest with the back of my hand. "Cmon. Let's get a shower and head back to the barracks."

We hop up and jog over to the barracks to grab a clean change of clothes. Upon entering however we are greeted by three of the cadets, each looking rather upset.

   Stoller, Ray, and Van. The trio are actually the worst of the cadets remaining. "You owe us Gon!" Stoller shouts at me.

   "And why might that be mate?" I ask casually even though I have a feeling I know why.

  "We lost our bets on your race that's why! We bet all the cash we had!" Van responds.

  "Why's that his fault? You should have bet on me." Leorio taunts chuckling. "In all seriousness though, it was anyone's race. Ya didn't have to bet all your money like a numpty."

"Shut up you bastard! We thought your worthless arse was guaranteed to lose!" Ray shouts.

"Fuck off mate! How about you run home to your mothers who just returned from the whore house? I'm sure you got a new sibling to meet." I yell back pissed. Leorio has been busting his arse ever since he was assigned to me and I won't let someone put him down.

At this Ray charges me. I jump back and deliver a quick open palm shot to his face. His nose crunches against it and I feel a tooth go loose as well.

He falls back groaning and clutching at his conk. The two others step back surprised but still equally pissed. "Damn mate. Was it necessary to call their mothers charvers?" Leorio asks me.

"Look, nobody makes fun of you. Especially after you beat ME in a race."

He smirks. "You're a good man."

"What are you two? A couple of fudge packers?" Van asks.

Leorio raises an eyebrow. "Do you want to take a conk as well? Bugger off! Go cry to yourselves and have a frig ya cunts."

Stoller and Van pick up ray and leave the barracks leaving us alone in the barracks. "C'mon mate. Let's get our clothes. I'm knackered." Leorio says to me.

I nod and we go to our bunks collecting our clothes. "Hey Leorio, what in God's name is a fudge packer?" I ask. "The term is unfamiliar to me." That's what I say. But I'm fairly certain I know the answer.

"You really never heard it? It's a word a lot of people use for a homosexual. Think they have another word for it now but no clue. It was tossed around a lot where I came from."

   "London sounds like a rough place."

  He nods. "It's definitely not a place for everyone. A lot of gangs around. Plenty of brothels. But if you know where to avoid you will be fine."

   "I'm guessing a lot of homeless too with the current depression as well?"

  "Plenty of them. I was almost mugged by a homeless guy using a broken bottle. Luckily the fuzz was right there and got him before he attacked."

  We leave the barracks heading to the showers when we see knuckle running up to us. "This can't be good. What do you think the sergeant wants?" Leorio asks.

"Well I did just break someones nose." We stand at attention and salute when he approaches.

"Freecess! Care to explain what happened to ray?"

"Sir! Myself and Leorio were returning from our jog to collect clean clothes for a shower. Cadets Ray, Van and Stoller were waiting for us. They blamed me for their lost bets in a race between the two of us. They wanted pay back and when ray attempted to attack me I defended myself."

He nods and looks to Leorio. "Is this correct cadet?"

"Sir, yes sir!"

Sergeant let's out a sigh of what I'm assuming is relief. "Thank you for clearing that up boys. That trio came to my office claiming you attacked them without reason. I was beginning to fear my best cadets were thugs. Carry on." He dismisses us and returns the way he came.

"Something tells me if we were anyone else we would still be in trouble." Leorio whispers to me as we continue walking.

I nod. "I don't doubt that for a moment. Let's just hope he takes care of those knobheads."

"Agreed."

We quickly enter the showers and get cleaned up. As the water drums on my head it helps to clear my head. "My only choice is to play dumb. I'd rather him not find out that I'm a homosexual. I think the word that some people use is gay. That doesn't matter. I don't want Leorio to find out. Or anyone for that matter." I think to myself.

I can only hope for the best.