The Twilight Era - Chapter 11

I filled out the dialogue a bit so that it would seem more realistic. If you want powerful and emotional music to accompany this chapter, especially towards the middle part then listen to the song above. It's very powerful and I would definitely recommend listening to it even if you don't want to use it as a tone-setter for the chapter

Btw, I still want your thoughts on me implementing an OC in this story that I talked about earlier in one of my chapters.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this chapter!

------------------------------------------------------

The first thing (Y/n) and the other members of the pride noticed when they reached the bottom of the humongous mountain was that Scar was calmly sitting on one of the more elevated rocks. The girl felt shivers run up her spine when she gazed at him. Something was not right about him. The brother of the king had something sinister and darker about him than usual.

(Y/n) looked at her father and noticed Shujae looking suspiciously at the other male. Could he have possibly noticed the same aura about him that she had?

Her question was left unanswered as everyone had formed a half-circle in front of the rock where Scar sat and she was forced to follow suit. The man cleared his throat gaining the attention of the rest of the pride and spoke with his deep voice.

"All that I have I would give not to be here," Scar stated sadly, "I have come to deliver grave news to all of you."

The other lionesses looked at each other with furrowed brows,  none of them understanding what news he would bring. Similarily (Y/n) and Nala caught each other's gazes and while Nala's face showed more confusion than anything, the other lion cub's face was twisted from the dread that bubbled in her stomach.

No, It can't be! Surely this is not about Simba and his father, right?..... Right?

"Mufasa and Simba-" the dark-furred male sighed.

No...

(Y/n)'s eyes widened in horror as she looked at the king's brother.

Please no...

"-are dead," Scar finished in a somber tone.

The faces of the other lionesses and lion mirrored that of the girl's. All expressed their sadness, guilt, and shock on their complexion when they heard the news. Some even started to shed tears quietly.

"Mufasa's death is a terrible tragedy," The lion continued as the other members of the pride silently wept and bowed their heads in grief, Zazu choosing to comfort the now dowager queen, "But to lose Simba - who had barely begun to live? For me, it is a deep, personal loss."

Nala had chosen to hide her tear-stained face in her mother's leg. (Y/n), on the other hand, had bowed her head to hide her flowing rivers of tears and harshly bit her lower lip to prevent herself from full out sobbing. (Y/n) felt shame course through her entire body.

She felt ashamed for not being able to protect her king.

She felt ashamed for not being able to protect the prince, the heir to the throne, her best friend.....

The girl felt crushed.

I failed them... I failed at the only thing I was supposed to do in my life! I FAILED TO FULFILL MY DESTINY! I FAILED MY BEST FRIEND!!!!

(Y/n) with her mindless, guilt-ridden state swiftly escaped through the shadows from the Pride Rock and ran as fast as she could. She needed to get away from everyone before she burst. And so the girl ran and ran. (Y/n) didn't care anymore that she would get lost. She didn't care where she ended up.

After a while, her legs gave out beneath her and she plummeted face first in the dirt. (Y/n) groaned, panted and cursed herself for such behavior and as she managed to steady herself on her forelegs she screamed, letting all of her anger and hatred burst like powerful lightning from within her. Fresh tears streamed violently against her cheeks as she screeched into the night sky.

(Y/n) internally cursed herself for being so weak, so unattentive, so stupid, arrogant, selfish, and for being a terrible guard and friend.

Eventually, her cries weakened and all she could do was release silent screams as she felt her eyes, throat and her limbs burn in agony. After what seemed like an eternity the girl's energy ran out and she felt fatigued, so she laid down of the grass on her side, limbs stretched out and face with a numb expression.

(Y/n) knew she wouldn't recover from this. That it would haunt her for the rest of her life.

The girl finally succumbed to dreamless slumber.