(Y/n)'s pain - Chapter 15

The moon rose high in the sky and the veil of the night had come. Though through the dark and thick clouds the light from the lunar object couldn't break through so the land below was covered in darkness. On one spot on the ground, near the massive rock structure laid three lions' bodies. Two lionesses and a male lion.

The youngest lioness laid almost motionless except for the rhythmic rising and falling of her stomach, signalling that she was still breathing. The other two bodies didn't do the same. (Y/n) laid between both of her parent's corpses, seeking comfort, even if she knew that she wouldn't get it. The lioness guarded the bodies with what little strength (Y/n) had from weeping for hours after the murder.

In the back of her mind, she knew that she needed to leave. That she needed to bury the dead bodies of her parents. It was an odd idea, but through the hours she understood that no other creature would eat the corpses and wouldn't eat that grass that would possibly sprout through the desert floor.

Her mind was blank. Too (Y/n) it felt like her body had a mind of its own as it painfully dug a large enough hole to fit both of them in the dry and rock hard dirt. Her paws started to bleed from the intensity of her work, but (Y/n) felt emotionally too numb to feel anything and just kept digging. Afterwards, she barely registered that she had hoisted the corpses of her parents on her back one by one and carried them to the newly dug hole.

Just as she started to numbly look at the dumped bodies she heard footsteps behind her and swiftly spun around, curling into herself and growling lowly with teeth bared at the intruder. But to her surprise, she saw none other than the other lionesses with Nala at the front.

The young lioness stepped forward but (Y/n) still didn't relent, seeing her friend as a potential foe. Only when the young lioness noticed that Nala started to carefully pour the dirt over the dead bodies did the girl slowly relax and join her in the endeavour. After a short while, the other lionesses too started to come one by one and putting their effort into the burial.

Soon the hole was filled. All of them stared at the slightly raised bump on the ground in silence. The lionesses sat next to each other close for comfort. Nala who sat next to (Y/n) worriedly glanced at the mournful girl. She knew she could never understand losing her best friends and parents both of whom she had very close bonds within the span of a year. However, Nala remembered the way (Y/n) had comforted her a few months back. And at this moment she knew that her best friend needed her, just like Nala needed (Y/n) back then.

The girl didn't waste any time and softly, hesitantly rubbed her snout against (Y/n)'s. At first, it seemed like the other lioness rejected the affection and Nala wanted to withdraw but soon with the same hesitance the other lioness returned the sign of affection.

The night was peaceful, quiet and serene. And through this silence, the lioness' heart slowly but surely started to heal.