Chapter 6

"I'm sorry, Cade. You're right...I will never be able to do those things...but the way you describe them is absolutely beautiful. I've studied the Earth and all the planets in school but I've never experienced what it felt like to live there. Thank you for sharing with me."

He shook his head as if to try and shake off the overwhelming feeling of disconnect he must feel being stuck in a tiny apartment on a planet he never wanted to come to in the first place.

"It's ok. What was it like for you growing up?"

"It was ok, I guess."

"Without a family?" He asked.

"Well, I had the other Mars children that I grew up with and my advisor." I wasn't sure where he was going with his line of questioning.

"Was someone watching you every second?" He asked looking up at the camera in the dining room.

"No. Not at all. We were encouraged to be independent."

"We're from two different extremes." He noted.

"Yes, we are and that's ok with me. It only seems to be a problem for you. I don't expect us to be friends but let's at least be friendly with one and other until I can leave." I felt bad as soon as I said it. Once he healed, I could leave. He would still be stuck with the cameras.

"I'm going a little stir-crazy being locked up in this apartment." He said sadly.

"Me too." I agreed.

"Let's get out of here and go to the promenade." He suggested.

The promenade was a building all to itself. There were stores, restaurants and lots of people. I wasn't sure how we would get out of the apartment, let alone not be noticed in the promenade.

"We can't leave." I said confused.

"The guards change shifts every eight hours. They leave before the next guards get to the door." His eyes twinkled with excitement.

"I-I can't let you do that, Cade." I shook my head.

"I'll do it without you then. I need to get out." He said defiantly.

"You're going to be the death of me, Cade. I can't let you go out by yourself." I insisted.

"So, I guess you're coming with me. Make sure I stay out of trouble, right?" He was smiling and I felt butterflies in my stomach. His smile was infectious. It was hard not to smile with him. He was definitely charming when he wanted to be.

"What time and how do we get back in?" I asked.

"Same way." When the guards change again, we can sneak back in." He had everything planned...except one thing.

"We can't stay out for eight hours!" I argued.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Cade, you're going to get me in a lot of trouble. I'm already on the doctor's shit list." I sighed. I knew I was going to give in. He was right we did need to get out of this apartment.

"Live a little, Emily. We'll get something to eat and maybe see a movie. We can have a few drinks and come back before anyone realizes that we were gone."

"NO! Absolutely not! No drinks!"

He looked like I slapped him in the face. He was a grown man. If he wanted to drink...

George's orders still remained clear in my mind. No alcohol and no more pain medications other than what was prescribed by the doctor.

"Fine. No drinks." He agreed.