Chapter 21

"Emily. George." He nodded at us.

I turned to try and run back out the door but there were guards blocking the door. We were trapped.

"Sit down, Emily." The doctor asked.

George remained standing.

I sat. What good would it have been to argue?

"Emily, I was unable to get you a transfer to Germany. You will remain here under my watch with a few exceptions." The doctor said sadly.

"What exceptions?"

"You will move into Mr. Chase's apartment and marry him before the election. You will continue to work in the ER. You will be escorted by guards anywhere you go. Do you understand.

My heart dropped. The President got to the doctor first.

"Dr. Jensen, you have to see that this is crazy! He wanted to put us outside the colony!"

"If the President felt that was necessary..."

"This is bullshit! Just let us go!"

"Oh, you are going. I still want you out of this colony. You'll be going to Italy with my son for your honeymoon. Quite nice of me, I think."

No! He was going to separate George and I!

"You'll learn it's best not to cross me. Your engagement has already been announced. You'll not embarrass me." He looked like he could spit fire. A big angry, crazy dragon spitting fire.

"Doctor, please!?" I begged.

"I'm sorry, Emily. Please, make the best of it. You've always wanted to see another colony. Now is your chance."

No...the doctor wasn't going to help me.

Where was Ren?

"You will be married in two weeks in front of the whole colony. Until then, you will only go to work and back home. You will act like everything is fine. I think I'm being very kind here and I am only doing it as a favor to the doctor."

The President got himself ready to leave and waved to the guard standing next the George. The guard took George's arm and shoved him out of the office.

"No!" I cried and jumped up.

Another guard blocked the office door. I couldn't escape and they were taking George!

"It's over." The President said and left.

I turned to the doctor but he refused to meet my eye.

"Why?"

"Emily, do you know how miserable the President can make all of our lives?"

"More miserable than an arranged marriage?" I asked.

"Emily, please...I did my best. Please know that."

He looked beaten and battered. He wouldn't meet my eyes.

"I don't have a choice."

He shook his head "no".

"What's going to happen to George? Please just tell me that."

"He's being tried today for treason."

"Oh my god!"

"I'm sorry, Emily. The President wants him to walk on the surface.

Mars had no atmosphere. There was no oxygen to breath and at night the temperatures were sub-freezing. There was no way to survive without a space suit.