Chapter 17

I checked in and looked at the schedule, quick to see when I would be free the next day. I was surprised to see that I was off then next day. I thought I had to work. I was prepared to do a back to back shift.

I sent a quick text to Cade to let him know that I would be able to come over the next day and asked him for a time.

He answered immediately and I jumped out onto the floor. Forgetting about everything except my patients.

When things finally settled down and I was able to leave I left the hospital and headed for home. I had time enough to take a quick nap before I had to go take pictures with Cade.

When I got to my door, George was waiting outside.

"George?"

"Hello, Emily."

He had a bag in his hand.

"What are you doing here?"

"Delivering a package for Mr. Chase."

He handed me the bag and started to walk away.

"George?"

He stopped but didn't turn around. His shoulders tensed and I could see him take a deep breath.

"Have a good afternoon, Ms. Smith."

Without turning around, he walked away.

I wasn't going to let George's grumpiness dull my excitement. I had never had professional pictures taken and I got to take them with Cade Chase.

I opened the package when I got into my apartment. It was a beautiful blue dress! I had never had anything as nice. I tried it on and spun like a little girl. I loved it!

I found that card inside.

***Emily,

I hope you like it.

Cade***

I guess Cade didn't want me to wear my nurse uniform to the photo shoot.

I wondered if he was going to wear a tie that matched my suit! I was so excited.

I did my makeup and curled my hair.

Once put together, I admired my reflection in the mirror. Try as I might to smile, I just couldn't bring myself to. Is this what I wanted?

I pushed all the negative thoughts out of my mind and put on the finishing touch! I had a pair of silver earrings that my advisor had given me when I finished nursing school. It was the most expensive thing I owned and the most sentimental.

As I stepped out of my apartment to head over to Cade's, I almost bumped into one of the President's assistants.

"Oof! I'm sorry!"

"It's no problem, Ms. Smith. George sent me to escort you to Mr. Chase's apartment."

"That wasn't necessary but thank you."

When I entered the apartment there were at least ten people running around. The President was sitting in the kitchen on his phone. Cade was having his hair done. With all the people in the apartment, there was one missing.

George.

I wondered why he had sent someone else to escort me and he didn't come himself.

"Emily! Becca is going to do your hair!" Cade called at to me.

A woman, I can only assume was Becca smiled at him as she finished his hair.

I thought my hair looked good the way it was. I guess I was wrong.