Trail Bae

Mo

"Since when did you become so health conscious?" Jackie asked from her seated place at the kitchen table.

"Since recently." I mumbled tying my shoe laces at the nearby sofa. 

"Very recently." She added pulling her leg into the chair and placing a piece of good smelling crispy bacon into her mouth. "I've never known you to turn down a good meal." She playfully rolled her eyes at me. 

"You saying all this to say what?" I asked taking to my feet and heading into the kitchen myself. Bypassing the crispy bacon, cheesy eggs and sugary grits she had prepared for us this morning. 

"Oh nothing." Jackie said although we both knew she wanted to say more than she already had. "Would a man have anything to do with this new found you?" She quizzed. Causing me to place the cartoon of oat milk in my hands down and turn to her. 

"No." I said in a flat tone. Even though I was lying through my front teeth. "Why can't I just want to do better for me?" I asked gaining an eye cut from her. 

"Well do you boo." Jackie said throwing her hand at me. "And since you're heading out I'm about to hit up Stevie. We both know unlike you he ain't turning down no food." She joked referring to her husky new beau. 

"Well enjoy." I said returning my focus to the Ninja blender before me. 

I quickly whisked together a strawberry, banana and peach smoothie. Before securing the lid to the cup, grabbing my things and heading to the car. 

I guzzled it down on my way to the park. 

Taking a moment after I pulled into the nearby parking lot to mow over my appearance in the IRVM. 

I looked cute. I didn't apply much makeup. Just enough to give me that morning sun kissed glow. 

I wore a cute printed number by Ivy Park paired with a matching pair of Adidas running shoes. 

My long wavy sew in was pulled into a neat ponytail. A few pieces near the front left hanging to frame my heart shaped face. 

I took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled. Trying to will myself the confidence I'd need to see this mission through. 

I tucked my phone into my armband and stepped out of the car. Taking the time to adjust my clothes before hitting the car alarm and placing my keys into my pocket. 

I looked down at the apple watch wrapped around my wrist. It was a little past 8 a.m. 

The same time I had been going to the park the last few Saturday mornings. 

My original plan was simple. I was trying to take my health more serious than I had been over the years. 

Looking at me you'd assume I was in good health which was true. But we all know there's more to health than just how someone looks. My diet was poor right along with my activity level. 

I had been struggling with sleep a lot as of late and decided to do something about. Which meant improving my diet and changing my activity level. 

Changing my activity level seemed to be a lot easier for me than improving my diet. I loved food. I mean a girl's gotta eat. Right? 

So I started going for morning runs every Saturday morning. Whether I felt like it or not. 

The first couple of times were rather boring. Just me running around the park, dodging dog walkers and sweating my hair out. Nothing to mention for the books. 

But on this one blessed day ... while running down the trail ... I saw him.  

Who was Him? That my dear is what I was going to find out today. So help me god.