31. X Marks The Spot

Listen to this song on repeat to get in this chapter's mood:
CH 31: hoax - Taylor Swift

---------------------------------

Days flew by, and you were now getting ready for Kayla's party of the year. Tom had to work that day, and would probably be a little late to arrive to the party. So, you were glad that Haz had asked you to go together.

You were almost ready; you had done your make-up and somewhat fixed your hair. You'd wanted to put your hair in a messy bun, but when that utterly failed – you had never been one to manage created cute updos – you decided to just let your curls flow freely on your shoulders. All you had to do now, was choose what to wear. Browsing through the dresses Kayla had picked for you, you check your phone, wondering if it would be too late to call Bri and Rose for their fashion advice. But the time difference deemed it unacceptable; it was already way past midnight in The Netherlands, so you were left to choose yourself.

"The black one." You hear Haz' voice say, as he walks into the room. He was referring to a simple floor-length, black dress. It had a v-neckline, was form fitted to the waist, and had flowy skirt with a high slit on your left leg. You turn around to find Haz dressed in a white shirt, and navy trousers.

"To match your simple outfit?" You remark with a smirk. He was doubting earlier if he would wear a simple and chic outfit, or go for something more daring. You'd advised him to go with the former. You were a big fan of men wearing fashion-forward outfits, but when it came to formal looks, classy had your preference.

"Exactly." Haz winks, "Plus, I know Tom will love it; it has a similar fit as your premiere dress, and he was talking about how good you'd looked in that dress for weeks." It made you blush a bit, but it was enough to convince you to indeed go with the black dress. 

"Do I really need to be wearing these formal shoes? They are so damn uncomfortable." Haz whines while lacing his black Italian leather shoes. You look at him, before bursting into laughter, "You wanna switch?" You ask him, pulling up the skirt of your dress to reveal the highest black heels you'd ever worn. They were absolutely beautiful; small silk straps climbed their way around your ankle, ends tied together in a bow that had taken you about ten minutes to perfect. But the fact that the footbed had the same thickness as summery sandals, and the heel was extremely thin, made you wobble lightly on your feet if you weren't paying attention.

When Kayla first told you about the party, she made it sound like a casual evening. You understood wrong though; instead of an actual party, it was more like a high-class dinner party. Meaning formal outfits instead of jeans, and expensive champagne instead of beers.

"Uh- Yeah no thanks, I'll just stop complaining right away." Haz laughs, seeing your mild discomfort. "You ready to go? The car is almost here." you return, gathering your phone, credit card, lipstick, and keys, and putting them inside your bag.

Arriving at the party, you immediately had to hand it to Kayla; it was indeed promising to be the party of the year. There were rows of paparazzi gathered outside, and it was crawling with famous people. You were quite overwhelmed by the calibre of guests that were attending. You immediately recognized some models from watching years of Victoria's Secret shows, some actors from the latest Netflix hit, and countless of influencers.

Stepping out of the car, Haz reaches you his hand for stability. Closing the door behind you, you puff out your dress, making the skirt fall into place, before interlocking your arm with Haz' and going inside. It felt kind of weird to arrive at the party with Haz instead of Tom. Although he was one of your best friends here in New York, you mind is drawn back to the rumours of you two being an item after the fall-out with Tom two months ago. As cameras started to flash, you wondered for a second if it was a mistake to take his arm. But you knew that his body offered the support you needed, walking on the cobblestones on your wobbly heels. As if he could read your mind, Haz turns his head towards you, and whispers, "Just ignore them Meg; we know better." You grant him a smile, walking inside.