Fourteen

- Friday, June 30, 2020 -

Ava entered their empty home, holding onto the door frame to slip her shoes off as her exhaustion set in. All she was looking forward to was a long, hot shower after a day from hell at the hospital. She knew these days were part of the job description but it never made it any easier.

The house was eerily quiet as she made her way through the dark, dodging kitchen counters and furniture from memory before making her way upstairs. The sensored hallway night light came on as she turned the corner into her bedroom, stripping off her scrubs quickly and tossing them into the hamper. She turned the ensuite's dimmer light switch to half way, the anticipation of the water pressure on her shoulders already easing her low mood.

After adjusting the shower temperature, she lit the lavender candle she kept on the counter, turned on the bluetooth speaker and pressed play for The Neighbourhood's 'I Love You.' album.

Eagerly stepping into the steam, she tipped her head back as she let the warm water encase her, sending chills across her skin. She took her time, washing with a strawberry body wash and mint shampoo until her skin was raw and her head felt squeaky clean.

She lathered herself in lotion and dressed in her coziest, oversized sweatshirt before turning her night stand lamp on and slipping into bed. It was only eight o'clock yet she felt like it was the middle of the night with how tired she was. She settled in, ready to read a few chapters of her book, but then suddenly lips softly grazing her temple stirred her awake.

"Shh, don't have to get up." The husky sentiment was whispered into the back of her neck as a warm palm ran down the sleeve of her sweatshirt.

Harry pulled her closer, his front curving against her back, his hand sliding down to rest on her belly. The hair of his bare legs tickled hers as he breathed her in, inhaling where his face was tucked into her hair.

Ava reached down to hold to the back of his hand as she arched her back in a stretch before whispering, "What time is it?"

"Half nine," he spoke against the back of her head, his lips leaving a soft kiss to her hair.

She hummed, pushing herself back against him more. "Long shoot," she stated simply.

"Unbearably long," he chuckled in agreement, his breath tickling the back of her neck. "How was your day?"

"Unbearably long," Ava repeated.

"You okay? Feel okay?" His tone was soft, his voice low and deep with a tinge of concern.

"Yeah, just tired. Took a long shower," she assured him as she intertwined their ankles.

"And used my shampoo," he teased as he sniffed her hair again with a deep inhale.

"It's growing on me," she laughed softly, "and doesn't make me wanna throw up anymore."

"That's good," he hummed, stroking his palm over her round belly. "Ah, there she is." Ava could hear his smile as he pressed his face into her neck more. "Was wondering if she was awake."

"Always wakes up when she hears your voice," Ava spoke softly.

Another soft kick had Harry stilling his hand against her to feel their baby greet him. It wasn't a lie, every time she heard the deep timber of his voice she moved in search of the warm palm that typically rested on Ava's growing belly.

"Only three more months," he whispered after a while, fingers gently pressing into Ava's skin.

"Can't wait," she smiled as she tried to absorb every fiber of love his palm on her belly filled her with.