Ninteen

- Wednesday, September 29, 2020 -

The soft sound of Harry's voice slipped into Ava's senses as she slowly started to wake from a much needed nap. She knew exactly what she was going to see before even opening her eyes, a smile pulling on her lips just at the thought.

As she slowly turned her head in the direction of his voice, cracking one eye open to check, she was met with exactly what she thought.

Harry tucked away in the chair in the corner of the hospital room next to the window, her daughter swaddled up in a security blanket that she'd picked out for her months prior, slowly rocking back and forth as he sang softly, barely above a whisper.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

You make me happy when skies are gray.

You'll never know dear, how much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away.

Ava knew this scene, having caught the same exact visual a few times already. She watched him sing it over and over, his index finger softly tracing over her cheek, his eyes never leaving her face. It made Ava's heart ache in a way that she knew she would never get tired off.

Ava watched him quietly, only speaking once he was quiet for a while. "Hi."

Wet eyes reached Ava's, a smile spreading on his face as a rogue tear slipped down his cheek. He didn't say anything - just silently lifted from the chair to come sit with her, tucking himself next to her on the bed.

"Mommy's up, Rae." He spoke softly as Ava rested her head on his shoulder, looking down at their beautiful baby. A perfect mix of Ava and Harry.

Ava smiled as she turned to place a kiss on his shoulder, the smell of laundry detergent present on his freshly changed clothes. Ava felt a kiss on her head, prompting her to lift her face to meet his soft gaze, his lashes still wet with happy tears.

He kissed her slowly, pouring his love from his soul to hers. It was quick and it was sweet, and she found herself silently sitting next to her husband, watching their dream come true sleep -- blissfully aware of the hold she had on both of them already.

Ava smiled down at her, all of the possibilities of their life to come at the forefront of her mind as she spoke softly.

"Our little ray of sunshine."

THE END.  

***   

a/n: thank you so so much for reading! i've appreciated all the comments and love this story has gotten. it has a special place in my heart and i've really enjoyed sharing it. thank you again! xxx