Ethan

I woke up the next morning to the smell of coffee brewing.

I sat up and put my jeans back on under the blanket before I got up and walked into Emma's kitchen.

She turned around as I walked in, smiling at me. "Good morning."

"You're pretty bright this morning for as drunk as you were last night."

Emma laughed. "I drank a lot of water before I went to sleep." She said, handing me a cup of coffee.

I've been to Emma and Olivia's place enough to know where they keep cream and sugar, so once I fixed my coffee to my liking, Emma and I sat down on her couch. Well, after we turned it back into it's normal state.

"Thanks for driving me home last night."

"Thanks for letting me stay here."

"Stay here anytime. Olivia's moving in with Adam soon. This place is gonna be all mine for a while."

"Grayson and Alyssa bought a house, so once they renovate it, they'll live there. I think I'm gonna turn my place into a bachelor pad. It's just gonna be me, so I might as well decorate how I want."

Emma laughed. "Really the only change I'm making is turning Liv's room into a guest room."

Emma relaxed onto the couch, putting her feet across my lap. I didn't mind. Looking back I would've minded if it was anyone else. But I didn't mind Emma.

I remember sitting there that day, drinking coffee and quietly watching the news. Emma's feet across my lap and us sitting there in comfortable silence.

I realized how Emma was the only girl in my life that I could sit with all day, even without taking or doing anything, and I'd still want to be there.

Even though we hadn't seen each other in a couple weeks, it was easy for us to just catch up. What I loved about Emma was that we could always just pick up where we left off.

Frankly she was the one I always looked forward to seeing the most when Gray and I hung out with our friends.

I glanced at her, and she was sipping her coffee while watching the news. She was so concentrated. It was cute.

I started thinking about our friends. Olivia was getting serious with Adam. Alyssa and Grayson were getting married.

Emma and I were both single, and frankly I was hoping for change in my life.

I looked over at her, and she was still staring at the tv.

I went home after a couple of hours of hanging out with Emma. I ate lunch with Grayson, I worked out, and I went for a drink with the guys from work.

I stopped by the park on my way home. I took a little walk along the river, and I just observed the nature and the people. There were little kids and babies everywhere.

I think the park was having one of those activity nights for kids. I went home thinking about what it would be like to have a kid.

I can't have a kid. I don't even have a girlfriend. 

I got home, and said hey to Grayson as I sat next to him on the couch.

"What's up, E?"

"Do you ever randomly get baby fever?"

Grayson laughed. "Sometimes. Why, are you dying to have a baby?"

I smiled. "I really want one, but it makes no sense right now."

"Why not?"

"I don't have a stable significant other."

"If you want one really really bad, just find a good friend that's willing to have one with you." Grayson said. "Like Emma."

"What? Emma's not gonna want a baby."

"She's single, she's one of your closest friends, and Alyssa and I have been dying for you two to finally get together."

"What do you mean finally get together? Emma's just my friend. Both of us don't like each other like that."

Grayson smiled. "You just don't know it yet."

"Okay, where is this coming from?" I asked.

"Come on. You two always hang out together at game night. And I can tell that you like hanging out with Emma, while you tend to only tolerate hanging out with any other woman. I think that deep down, you really like her and you just haven't put any thought to it."

"I'm going to bed." I said.

"Why don't you call Emma while you're at it." Grayson called as I got up and walked towards the hallway.

I flipped him off without even looking back before I went into my bathroom and took a shower.

It was a few nights later when I was over at Emma's place, and we were having a movie night.

Olivia was at Adam's, and Grayson was out with Alyssa. So, Emma and I decided to hangout.

I couldn't stop thinking about the conversation I had with Gray. Friends can have babies. Right?

Emma's the only person I could even fathom having a baby with at the moment. At this point in my life.

I told myself to stop thinking about it, and I shoved a handful of popcorn into my mouth.

Somehow it made sense. She was the only person I could imagine having a baby with.

I started to think about it, and I mean I was deep in thought. I contemplated saying anything. The worst thing she can say is no, and then that'll be that.

I glanced at Emma, who had her knees tucked to her chest, and a bag of popcorn in her hand.

It was dark in the living room, but that wasn't stopping her eyes from being the most blue they've ever been.

Friends can have babies, right?

I felt like it made sense with Emma, and if it made sense to us and was our decision, there would be nothing wrong with that.

We both had good jobs, both of us financially stable, so I didn't see a problem.

The next thing I said really would change our lives in a way. I glanced over at her and stuck a piece of popcorn in my mouth.

"We should have a baby."