Emma

Did he just say what I think he said? What? I'm so confused right now. A baby?

I stared at Ethan in complete shock. He wants a baby. With me? Where is this coming from?

I had so many questions.

Nothing romantic had ever happened between Ethan and I. Why in the hell did he want a baby together?

"Did you just say—Ethan, that makes absolutely no sense. We aren't even a couple, and we don't live together. I have no idea why you think we can just have a baby together."

He leaned back against the couch as he smiled at me. "Those are all things that can change, Em. Plus, friends have babies all the time."

"Yeah. On accident."

"Hey, at least ours would be planned."

Ours. Shut up, Ethan.

"I can not believe I'm having this conversation right now."

"Just think about it. We're both financially stable, we're both at a good age to become parents, and we get along great. It all makes sense to me."

"Ethan, people don't have babies together just because they get along great. That's a very intimate and complicated thing that usually only serious couples go through. Plus, what if I got pregnant, and then one of us fell in love with someone else while I'm carrying our child?"

"Emma, why do you think I'm asking you to have a baby with me?"

"I don't know." I said quietly as I stared at the floor. Suddenly I felt a spark between us, and I didn't know how to look at him. I mean, he's my best friend. It's scary to fall for your best friend, and just through this conversation, I felt like it was already too late to stop myself from falling. It wasn't to the point of love, but I was past the point of no return in the feelings department.

"Em." He said, his voice soft and gentle. "Look at me." I looked at him, and his eyes were nothing but warmth. Like the sun coming out on a cold October morning. "I really really like you. A lot. I might even kind of love you a little bit. That's why I'm asking you. You. You're the only person I'd want a child with. I'm not gonna fall for anyone else. You're my best friend, and I think this could be a good thing for us. For both of our lives. Just consider it, okay?"

I couldn't say no. His eyes were that of a puppy dog. Plus, he had a point. We'd be great parents together. "Yes. I'll do it." I said.

"You'll consider it, or have a baby?"

"Have a baby." I whispered.

"We're gonna have one?" He asked, suddenly getting super excited about it.

I nodded. "Yeah."

Ethan stood up, pulling me up and wrapping his arms around me in a hug. "Wow. We're really gonna do this. When do you want to start trying?"

That was a big question. First of all, Ethan and I out of our years of friendship (since sophomore year of college) have never hooked up before. Ever. So, the first time was gonna be a big deal, and with my newfound feelings, I was a little nervous about the thought.

"I guess soon. I mean, we're both in good times in our lives that really anytime would be good." I said.

I was rambling. Why so nervous, Emma?

"Emma, why are you nervous about this?" He asked, his thumb rubbing back and forth on my arm. "It's just me. Don't be scared. This is supposed to be an amazing experience for both of us. You don't have to let your nerves overcome you."