11

Ethan

I was nervous as hell for the first baby doctor appointment, but Emma just giggled at me about it.

She wasn't nervous at all.

The doctor's name was Dr. Fausetti, and she seemed like a reliable doctor.

She started Emma's ultrasound, and everything looked good. It was still too early to tell if the baby was a boy or a girl, but we got to hear the heartbeat, and it made me tear up a little bit.

That's what made it real.

And the fact that Alyssa and Grayson are having a baby at the same time as Emma and I are just made it ten times more amazing to me.

Like I was gonna be an Uncle and a Father at the same time.

Emma and I went out to lunch after the appointment, and then I dropped her off at home before I went back to work.

When I got home from work that evening, Emma and I decided to go out for dinner. I wanted to treat her to something nice anyway.

She got a little bit dressed up, so I kind of did too, and we ended up going to a really nice Italian restaurant in town.

"This was the right choice," she said as we dug into our food. "I guess I didn't realize how much I wanted cheesy ravioli."

I smiled, taking a bite of my chicken parmesan before I looked back at Emma. She was smiling back at me.

I couldn't believe how far we've come in our relationship. From being best friends, to falling in love, to having a baby. There was no doubt in my mind that Emma was the one for me. In a way, I kind of knew it all along. I just didn't admit it to myself until we started trying for a baby.

Looking at Emma, I decided she was gonna be my wife someday. I wanted what we had to last forever, and I had such a strong faith that it would.

Since we became a couple, I've learned more about love than I ever thought I would be able to. She became everything to me in such a short amount of time, yet I had a feeling that she was already close to being my everything a long time ago. Even if I didn't realize it then.

After we got home and laid down in bed, Emma closed her eyes, and I couldn't help but just stare at her, brushing a piece of her hair away from her forehead.

"I can feel you staring at me," she said, a small smile breaking onto her face before she opened her eyes.

I was silent as we stayed there, gazing into each other's eyes. The love was almost overwhelming. I could feel it washing over me like the ocean's tide during a storm. It hit's you all at once, and there's no way to escape it. Yet you don't want to escape it.

"I love you so much, Emma," I whispered. "You make me so damn happy."

She smiled, cupping my face with her hand as her eyes screamed 'I love you' to mine.

"Nobody has ever loved me the way you do. I've never felt so cherished, so cared for, so safe. You're my home. My safe place. I love you so much."

Our lips pressed together, Emma pulling me closer as our kiss became deeper.

I pulled away, pressing soft kisses on her neck as my arms tightened around her. "I don't know what I'd do without you, babe," I said.

Emma snuggled against my chest, both of us laying on our sides as her head rested against my heart.

"You're never gonna have to worry about that," she said. I kissed her forehead.

"I hope not."

-

Emma kissed my forehead as she walked into the kitchen the next morning. I was drinking coffee and reading the news on my phone.

"Good morning," I said, putting my phone down. Emma smiled at me.

She sat down, reaching for the carton of orange juice I had on the table. She loved orange juice, so I got it out for her.

"Good morning indeed," she said. "Thank you for the orange juice."

"I love you, babe," I said.

Emma smiled. "I love you."

"How's the baby feeling this morning?"

"He's good."

"You think it's a boy?"

"I have a slight feeling. Maybe it's mama's intuition."

I smiled. "We'll find out pretty soon."

"Grayson and Lyssa are coming over in a little bit," she said. "They had nothing to do today, so I asked if they wanted to come hang out."

I got up, walking over to the counter, refilling my mug with coffee. "Okay. That will be fun," I said, turning around and walking back towards the table.

Emma smiled, watching me as I set my coffee down. Then I walked to where she was sitting, leaned down, and pecked her lips.

We were just so happy. I loved these Saturday mornings. It was so simple. Just us and the world waking up outside the windows.

Emma got dressed, and then we cleaned the apartment for a little while before Grayson and Alyssa came over.

It was really amazing to me that Grayson and I were going through the exact same thing in our lives. Both of us were about to be dads for the first time, and it was so cool to be experiencing it at the same time.

It was cool to still be able to relate in almost every aspect of our lives. Besides Emma, Grayson was my favorite person in the world.

We had fun, the four of us hanging out in Emma's and my living room.

My arm around Emma, and her hand interlaced with mine as we sat together on the recliner.

Grayson and Alyssa sat on the couch, and the four of us just talked. It was always like that.

We were talking about Alyssa's and Emma's pregnancies, and all of the sudden Grayson looked at me.

"So, when are you guys gonna get married?"

I smiled at Grayson before looking back at Emma. "Someday. Right, babe?"

She smiled at me, her eyes giving me a loving gaze. "Right."

I smiled, kissing her on the cheek. She had no idea what my plans were for our future. I was going to ask her to marry me.