Chapter 16

Muller opens the door revealing a dimmed room littered with strobe lights. Jacob Steen and Nicholas Klein are sitting inside already on the wrap-around couch, smoking something that's definitely isn't tobacco because of its weird smell. I try not to scrunch up my nose but instead smile.

I glance around the room, trying to captivate as much as I can.

A double door on the left and back wall, no label on either. There aren't any windows, but a single fan in the corner. The right wall has several shelves lined with bottles of alcohol.  There's a small side table with five cocktails sitting there with no interest.

"Annalise." Klein lowers his smoke and smiles at me.

"Nice to see you again Klein." I smile back and nod at Steen. "The same to you too."

"Thanks." Steen nonchalantly replies.

"Ernst is planning to sell the property around the Casino." Muller starts and takes a seat, "He's off getting the map from the cloakroom."

"Really?" Steen gains interest, "That's perfect." Clara sits beside her husband while Greta sits somewhere else. I follow Greta and plonk myself down beside her.

"Exactly my thoughts," Muller grins, "Tobias is speaking to Leon right now. They'll all be here any minute."

Leon? So the dealer's name is Leon.

"I want a drink!" Greta demands, sounding like an absolute bitch.

Muller, who is closest to the left wall, knocks hardly on the double door, "Get in here waitress!" He yells. I glance over at him, noticing his complete behavioural change towards the staff inside the VIP room, compared to inside the main area of the casino. I try not to let my expression shift and instead ask for a drink too.

My face immediately drops though when the waitress comes out. She staggers out, limping towards Muller with her hands behind her back. Black circles adorn her pale face. Her patchy buzzcut showing her dented skull. I feel my stomach turn, but look my eyes away from her, hoping nobody is looking at me.

"Two martinis." Greta crosses her arms.

"Yes, ma'am." The woman nods her head and starts to turn away before Greta yells.

"Faster Marta! Faster!" I take a deep breath, completely discussed by her attitude.

Just then, Levi walks in with Tobias and Leon. Leon smiles as his eyes land on me. "Leon Jansen. I take you are Annalise." He bows as Levi weaves between him and sits beside me, the large piece of paper rolled up in his arms.

I took the said 'map' they were gushing over from the archives back at the HQ. I internally roll my eyes, anybody can request for the map as long as they are the property owner of any land nearby.

"Let's get into it, Ernst." Tobias starts, "The casino wants to buy the surrounding property, but didn't know who owned it for a long time."

"Yes." Leon smiles, "If you become an investor you will obtain all benefits the Casino can offer."

"Like?" Levi raises an eyebrow.

Before Leon can say anything Greta starts, "Well you guys have a big house don't you?" She looks over at me and I grin.

"Yes, we do!" I reply happily.

"Well, I'm sure it's difficult to clean up by yourself." She continues and I nod, "And the housecleaners looking for jobs in this area ask for so much."

"Oh, my Walls! Yes. How did you know?" I gush.

"Well, we can hook you up for a really low price." She grins and crosses her arms, my eyes light and I nod at her to continue, "For the price of a bed in your basement and one meal a week."

Slaves.

Completely disgusted, I do my best to hide it an smile, "No!"

"Yes." Leon takes over. "Downstairs, we've got a few people we don't need that you can take." Leon points to the double door on the back wall, "We've also got a few for the men." Leon winks.

I freeze up and gag internally. "We can give you access to our drugs if you're into that as well." He grins.

"I like how that sounds." Levi crosses his arm and nods, "Let's take a look at what you have downstairs then we can look through the map, layout and construction."

Marta returns with the martinis and places the tray in front of Greta. Greta grabs both, handing one to me. I thank her and look back over to Leon.

"Let's do that Ernst." Leon gestures for Levi to stand up and come over. Levi glances at me first and I nod at him with a loving smile like the amazing wife I am and stand up with him.

"Let's go too!" Greta grabs her husband we all follow Leon as he opens the double doors. He reveals steep stars leading into a dark abyss, only a few lamps lit on the wall. We follow down, me standing quite close beside Levi as Leon leads the way down.

The door closes behind us as we go down the stairs. No longer able to see each step, I try to be careful, but am still anxious I will fall down. I hesitate for a second, squeezing my fist and rethinking what I'm about to do, but I let out a deep breath and grasp a small part of Levi's jacket. I feel him look over to me but I glance away and ignore him.

I use my other hand to hold up my dress. We finally reach the bottom and start walking down a long hallway, doors on both sides. "We are nearly there." Leon calls out, his voice echoing in through the corridor. As we travel further down the corridor an odd smell starts to emit and gets more intense until we finally reach Leon's destination.

"Ignore the smell." Leon says, "These bastards and bitches don't keep themselves well." He says, making me want to slap him across the face. "Welcome!"

As I enter the room, I feel my vision blur at the horrendous sight ahead of me.