2

Gibbs opened the door of the diner for them and a warm blast of air blew towards them. Meanwhile, they ran so close together that their hands almost touched. What would happen if she simply grabbed his hand? Would he pull his hand away? She felt a light touch on her hand. She looked at him and he smiled softly.
They were the only guests in the room. The waitress looked at them distraught, but then she began to grin.

 "I guess a table for two", she said.

"Yes", said Gibbs and smirks at Sloane.

The waitress accompanied them to a table at the very back of the room.
After a short time she asked confusedly "Do you want the menu for dinner or breakfast?"

Good question. Did you go for breakfast or dinner at half past three in the morning?
They simply ordered two coffees, pasta and scrambled eggs with bacon. The food was served quickly. Sloane pounced on their portion, but Gibbs just poked around in his food.
What was bothering him? She wanted to help him, but she didn't know how, so she just smiled at him. He smiled back, but his eyes kept staring into space. Jack was slowly despairing.
What could she do? It could not go on like this. She grabbed his hand and finally he looked at her. 

"Did you say something?" he asked.

"Gibbs, you should finally get some sleep, but please eat something first."

"I'm not hungry."

 "You are, but your body is just too tired to feel something", explained Sloane. 

Leroy grumbled and took a few bites. Jack noticed that she just wanted to sleep. Gibbs ordered the bill and they headed back to his house. 

"Did you come by car?" he asked. 

"Hmm," Sloane replied.

She leaned her head on Jethro's shoulder and they strolled past the houses.
Her head on his shoulder just felt so natural. Somehow they just held hands without really noticing it. 

"You know, I really care about you. Please be forthcoming" she whispered suddenly. 

"Why did you say that?", Gibbs asked. 

"Because I like you. I mean, I REALLY like you and i don't want you to get hurt."

Gibbs looked at her for a long time.
Sloane reaalised what she just said and looked ashamed at her feets. This is Gibbs. He has invented rule 12. He can't break it himself. Arghhh she is so dumb, Jack thought.
He stopped apprubt. And she tourned around, because they still held hands. 

"Rule 12", was all he said.

"I know, I'm sorry", whispered Sloane.

"No, you don't understand", Gibbs explained. "I think we should forget about rule 12. Tony and Ziva ignored it and Ellie and Nick will. So why does it exists anywhere?" 

Sloane was relieved like never before. But she doesn't really know what to do. 

"You know, i care a lot about you Sloane. I think I am in love with you. I always was but i never knew what to do." 

"I-i-i don't know what to say"

"So you don't feel the same way?"

"Yes, I mean no! Trust me I love you too. I just don't know how to handle it. I mean you are the team leader. Rule 12 doesn't exist since today and all other obstacles. Do you just want to walk in tomorrow and say 'Hey, rule 12 doesn't exist anymore because I fell in love with a team member. Have a nice day'."

She started sobbing. He embraced her and whispered tenderly 

"We will do this together. The others will understand. There's no need to worry." 

"You are right", she said quitely.

They just stood there and enjoyed the presence of the other. Gibbs bent down slowly and kissed them softly. She returned this long awaited kiss just as softly. As they looked into each other's eyes they both grinned. They slowly made their way to Jack's. Suddenly, she noticed that the tank lid was a crack wide open. 

"Wait", she said, 

"I didn't open the tank today. It's always closed."

"Run!", screamed Gibbs and both ran as fast as they could. They had made the right decision, because only a few seconds later the car exploded in shreds. The recoil knocked them to the ground. They covered their faces with their arms as many metal splinters were thrown through the air. 

Gibbs tried to protect Sloane with his body, but it was already too late.
A red stain had formed on her white shirt and her breathing became less. A splinter was stucked in her abdominal cavity. She slowly closed her eyes and only heard Gibbs desperately calling 911.