13

Gibbs never left Jack's side for a single minute. She was so weak. He could not lose her.
After three months, the equipment was usually turned off. Three months. It seemed so long, but Jethro knew that in three months you could barely recover from a gunshot wound that had grazed the heartchamber. A millimeter further to the right and Jack would now be dead.
He covered his face with his hands and desperately pulled his hair. Sloane had been in a coma for two weeks now and there was nothing he could do.

Gibbs was ripped from his gaze by the shrill alarm system. It was a shrill alarm, but the fire alarm sounded different. Gibbs had never heard that sound in a hospital, yet it sounded familiar. But from where? Suddenly, he knew it and jumped up from his chair and stormed out into the hall. There were shocked personnel standing everywhere. Jethro could well imagine what had happened, and when he saw blood on the floor, his premonitions came true in an unpleasant way. An assassination attempt at the hospital.

"Special Agent Gibbs," he said loud enough to drown out the nervous whispers.

Jerkily, everyone turned to him. Except for one person. This one ran hastily up the stairs and tried to escape. Gibbs had been prepared, however, and sprinted after it.
He could barely see a blond ponytail disappearing around the corner when he reached the top of the roof. Jethro knew that the hospital was too far away from other buildings to jump from rooftop to rooftop. When he arrived at the roof he saw a young woman, no more than 30 years old. 

Gibbs spoke reassuringly to her, 

"Don't jump. We will find a solution." 

But the woman interrupted him abruptly, "No, no, you don't understand, he was my world." She roared once at the top of her lungs and then collapsed sobbing.

The woman absent-mindedly sipped her tea. Ellie sat opposite her and kept quiet.

"How long had she and James been married," Bishop asked quietly. But the woman, Lydia, flinched as if she had been beaten. 

"We, me, I was his mistress. His wife's name is Sharon Blackwell. You must believe me. She's a bitch and she used him." 

Ellie nodded thoughtfully. She didn't like Lydia because she knew exactly how much it hurt to be cheated on. 

"I know I look suspicious, but believe me, I was in surgery until a few seconds before the attack." 

"I will check out your alibi," Bishop said coldly and left the room. There was an oppressive silence in the open-plan office as Gibbs' phone rang. When he saw the hospital number he had a shocked face. But it gradually cleared up. When the phone call ended, Gibbs called joyfully.

"Jack she, she's awake!" The entire team headed to the hospital. Nick went with Ellie, and Tim went with Gibbs. After the first intersection, Jethro's car was already way ahead. 

"Boss, if we die along the way, it's not going to do her any good."

"Sorry, McGee." Gibbs slowed his car down a bit, and they drove right into the parking garage. 

Ellie and Nick arrived just a little later, but Jethro had already rushed upstairs.

"You are awake," he exclaimed happily as he entered the room. 

"Hey, nice to see you," she replied happily, but before they could really say hello, the other team members came into the room.

They were so happy that she was awake that Sloane didn't want to send her away already. After a few minutes, Jack sighed exhausted.

"I need a break for a minute."

"Of course, we'll leave right away," Ellie said sensitively. McGee, Torres, and Bishop left the room, but Gibbs stayed by the bed for a while. The pretended facade involuntarily crumbled from her. She seemed scared and small. 

"Gibbs, I'm scared." 

"That's understandable, but listen, I'm always here for you. Always."