Chapter one "The Return"

June 22nd
It's been five months since I last saw Puck. He and Uncle Jake went off to travel the world. I understand that he's enjoying this newfound freedom, but he could at least send a postcard. And Uncle Jake is no better. We only ever talk to him when Granny calls to check up on him.

I know I probably shouldn't be righting theses things in a fairytales detective findings journal, but business has been slow since we took down the Scarlet Hand. I still can't believe mirror would... Sabrina stopped writing mid sentence when she heard a loud thump on the roof.

A few years ago, she would've thought nothing of it, but since moving in with her grandmother, her life had been hectic. "It's just a squirrel," she told herself, standing up from her desk, "besides, I should probably get to bed anyway." She turned off the lamp on her desk then climbed into bed.

Her bed. And nobody else's. After Puck left, Daphne claimed his room for herself. Granny agreed, but constantly reminded her it was only temporary. At first. But now, it was a pretty much permanent thing. After all, it had been months since Puck left and the only time they'd talked to him was when Granny called Uncle Jake to make sure everything was okay. And even then, they sounded as if they had no plans to return anytime soon. The transition had been hard for the girls at first, but Daphne adjusted fairly quickly.

Sabrina, on the other hand, hadn't been able to get a good night of rest since... well, she didn't know when. She would like to say it was when Daphne left, but she knew the truth. Since everything happened with the Scarlet Hand, and Puck left, her sleeping patterns had become worse and worse. It didn't help there was a toddler screaming and waking up at least once a night.

Her baby brother, or now toddler brother, Basil, had been having nightmares since mirror was defeated. Mirror had raised him since he was born and he had just recently began to get to know his parents and his real family. Sabrina was understanding at first, but it had been months. She thought he would have adjusted by now.

There it was again. That thump. By the second time she heard it, she had already climbed under her covers and began to drift off to sleep, do to shear exhaustion. "It's nothing," she told herself over and over, after having been startled by the sound.

By the third time she heard it, she shot straight up in bed. "Okay," she said aloud, "whoever or whatever that is, if you try to hurt me or my family," she said as she climbed out of bed and over to her window, "I will kill you with a lamp." She opened her window, screamed, and fell backwards when a face popped up in front of her. "Miss me, stink face?"