31. Memories

Abraham was the first to notice the couple as they jog up to the Decathlon team all standing around the bus

Abraham was the first to notice the couple as they jog up to the Decathlon team all standing around the bus. Becca was feeling nervous about her and Peter coming on the trip. She felt like she was using the decathlon as an excuse to follow the thugs to Maryland, and she was right. But Peter only saw one goal, catch the bad guys. She could only do and say so much to deter him from that goal. He wanted so badly to impress her brother that it clouded his mind and judgement, and that scared Becca.

"Hey, Peter, Rebecca." Liz greets them with a confused look on her face. Ned standing behind the captain was giving the couple a small thumbs up in encouragement.

"I was hoping I could rejoin the team." Peter says, then motions to Becca for her to add her own, not wanting to speak for her.

"I could maybe be a backup?" She asks nervously, "I want to be of help in some way." Becca adds. She can feel eyes on her more so than before she hit Flash.

And speaking of broken noses, Flash pushes his way through the crowd, "No, no way. You guys can't quit on us, stroll up and be welcomed back by everyone."

Becca opens her mouth to speak but Mr Harrington beats her to it as he steps off the bus, "Hey, welcome back you two!" He greets Peter and Becca with a big smile. "Flash, you're back to first alternate."

"Mr Harrington, sir? I was hoping just to be of use, not be on the team if that was alright?" Becca says softly, looking up at her teacher.

Mr Harrington thinks it over briefly then nods, "Of course, Rebecca. We're happy to have you in any way." He tells her and she smiles softly, "That means Flash is second alternate." The teacher says.

Flash's eyes widen as he stares at their teacher, "What?"

"Peter's taking your place on the team, and Rebecca is taking your place as first alternate." Abraham quips to the bully and Becca can picture steam coming out of Flash's ears in her mind as he takes in that he was bumped, not only once, but twice from the team.

"Excuse me, can we go already? I was hoping to get in some light protesting in front of one of the embassies before dinner." Michelle comments as she steps out from within the crowd of students. Becca turns to look over at her old friend but Michelle quickly turns away, leaving Becca feeling uneasy.

Peter pulls Becca from her thoughts by taking her hand into his own, offering a smile when she looks up at him.

"Protesting is patriotic. Let's get on the bus." Mr Harrington says as Flash rips off his Decathlon jacket and throws it at Peter.

"Focus up, everyone. Our next topic is the moons of Saturn." Liz says as the bus passes a sign that says they were nearing Baltimore. Ned  and Peter were keeping Becca busy when the team wasn't practicing their drills and it made her feel like she was bonding more with Ned than she had in the past.