Chapter 23: Eternal Summer

"Miss me? Me, love?"

3 Year Later

CARMEN sat on a blanket in her back garden, sipping fresh lemonade and listening to the sound of the insects nearby. She watched the toddler in front of her walking in the grass towards her, holding a handful of flowers in a pair of muddy hands. The toddler resembled herself in most ways and Carmen smiled taking the flowers from her daughter. She set them down on the mat beside her before taking another sweet sip from her glass.

"Thank you, sweetheart," she replied and continued to smile as the little girl with dark curls ran back to the grass to pick at more daisies that grew in the patches across their garden.

Carmen sighed and shut her eyes for a moment, basking in the sun that warmed her skin. A speckle of clouds dotted the sky and she glanced over at her daughter, Marvel, once more. She adored the name Marvel, which meant miracle; she believed it suited the situation perfectly. Marvel was a curious three-year-old, with hands and feet always dirty. The olive-green dungarees that she wore over a pale yellow top remained clean and Carmen sighed with relief, she was still learning how to cope with a daughter.

"Mumma!" the little voice called out as she plopped herself down on her mother's lap.

"Yes Marvel," Carmen replied, hugging her tightly and kissing the mess of brown curls.

"Miss daddy," Marvel said, playing with the flowers on her lap.

Carmen sighed sadly, holding her daughter tightly.

"I miss daddy too," she whispered and handed Marvel her cup of water.

The noise of a loud car nearby stirred Carmen from her thoughts, and she shifted Marvel away from her lap. Marvel ran off once more to go and dig in her sandpit. Carmen pulled herself onto her knees, careful to avoid Marvel's picked flowers. The back gate rattled, and her eyebrows creased, wondering who her visitor was, she hadn't seen anyone for weeks. Curiosity took over and she headed towards the gate. The gate swung open and Carmen gasped.

"You're back?" she asked smiling at her visitor.

Patrick nodded, stepping inside the garden, and not before greeting Carmen, he headed towards Marvel who cried out, "Uncle Pat." Patrick brought her into his arms and swung her around making her giggle loudly.

Carmen combed a hand through her messy hair and curled her toes into the grass excitedly. She was now conscious of the old dress she wore that was slightly stained with dirt. She chewed on her lip, glancing down at the floor, waiting.

"Hello, you," A voice spoke quietly, and Carmen glanced up, a soft smile etching onto her face.

"You're back early," she replied, eyes never leaving the man's face.

Pete smiled and pulled her in. He smiled against her lips, breathing in her homely scent. He finally felt at ease and enjoyed the way she felt in his arms. Carmen held him close, planting kisses along his neck and jaw.

"Where's my girl?" he called out, pulling away from the hug and turning to chase Marvel across the garden.

Carmen smiled happily, watching the loves of her life play in the garden. Life was good.

"How you been doing?" Patrick asked, watching his best friend chase a fast toddler around the garden.

Carmen smiled at him before placing a finger to her lips and pointing at her stomach.

"Congratulations," Patrick laughed upon realisation, "So you're going to have two running around?"

***

Pete returned down from putting Marvel to bed and smiled at his wife who was dancing across their living room by herself. He held on for a moment, not wanting to disturb her, watching as her feet stepped across the floor. Carmen span around and froze, before laughing quietly, she had been spotted.

"I've been on my own for a month, I forget I'm not alone," she giggled again, pulling on Pete's arm.

Pete gave in, placing his hand in his and spinning her around, he caught her, and they swayed slowly. Carmen slowly moved his hand and she placed it on her stomach. Carmen smiled, laying her head on his chest, waiting for his reaction.

"We're having another baby?" he asked, another hand meeting on her stomach.

Carmen nodded and Pete kissed her head.

"Folie à quatre doesn't quite have the same ring to it," he whispered against her hair, laughing slightly.

Carmen laughed and swatted his hand away, turning to face him and pouting.

"We're not mad," she giggled.

Pete laughed, pulling her back in and kissing her lips. He savoured the moment, the way she felt on his lips. He almost groaned at the way she melted into him.

"Folie en famille," he confirmed, whispering against her lips before kissing her again so she couldn't protest.

Family madness: she could accept that. It hadn't been an easy pathway to happiness that the Wentz family now felt. In fact, Pete had never felt more terrified at the thought of his three crazy kids running around, though he knew that this was the life he had always wanted.

And Carmen, well she had never felt so alive.