Chapter 6: Just One Yesterday

"Letting people down is my thing, babyFind yourself a new gigThis town ain't big enough for two of us,"

Find yourself a new gig
This town ain't big enough for two of us,"

"GET dressed," Pete mumbled, disappearing into the bedroom to change as well.

Carmen followed, anxious at the fact she knew nothing about the situation. "Pete? What's up? Who is it?" she asked.

Pete shook his head and threw her a pair of skinny jeans and a Clandestine Industries hoodie, "I'll tell you about it soon ok," he replied, pacing as she changed into the clothes.

A loud knock came from the door of the flat and Pete sensed Carmen tense up with fear, he wrapped an arm around her shoulder and kissed her forehead.

"I won't let anything happen to you," he whispered and pulled away.

A familiar voice shouted through the door and Pete quickly opened it to see Patrick, Andy and Joe standing there. They shared glances between each other at the notice of Carmen stood in his clothes.

"Don't start," he groaned and allowed them to come in.

Carmen rolled up the sleeves of the oversized jumper and smiled at the guys, who were handing 5-dollar bills over to Patrick.

"You made a bet?" Pete asked.

"Pat bet that we would see Carmen again, but we didn't believe him." Joe laughed, smacking Patrick lightly on the arm.

"You do realise that Patrick was here the other day, right?" Pete blinked at Joe, whose face had fallen.

"Fuuuck you," Joe turned to Patrick, blinking and smacking his arm.

Patrick just laughed at Joe's face before turning to Andy who was nodding at his friend's cleverness.

"He got us there, Joe," Andy smiled.

Meanwhile, Carmen stood watching the boys in disbelief. She caught Joe's eye and he reached out a hand, "Hey!" he spoke.

The mood in the room changed as Pete handed Patrick the note, "I still owe him, and if I don't go and see him, he's going to find her." Pete sounded worried.

"I'll go home Pete," she spoke up finally, sensing that she was the problem.

She felt sick as he shrugged uncomfortably, they both knew it would be for the best if she was out of the picture. That way, she wouldn't get hurt.

"Look, I'm going to go. Nice to see you all." She spoke again, noticing the room had remained silent.

Carmen took the incentive and grabbed her items before stopping at the door, "I truly mean it was so nice to see you all again, you guys are an inspiration," she spoke up and watched the lads smile.

Pete hadn't looked up at her and so she left, hoping it wouldn't hurt as much. She started walking before a hand grabbed her arm and spun her around. Pete tried to smile, his eyes scanning her face sadly, "I've uh, got to go now, out of America. This won't be the last time we see each other Carmen," and then he left, not looking back.

The mood in the evening had picked up slightly as they ate takeaway and chatted, Pete, however, was quieter than usual, barely touching the food in front of him.

"Pete, we'll be out of the country soon. Don't think about it too much," Pete knew Patrick was trying to cheer him up, but he couldn't get it off his mind.

Pete nodded and excused himself before standing in the street and lighting up another cigarette, slowly inhaling and exhaling. The night sky was bleak again, there were no stars, just thick cloud. The sky felt like his head, it was so full of shit, all he wanted was the peace of a starry, clear, summer night's sky. His mind was so full of thoughts of Carmen, he felt horribly possessive and protective of this girl. He knew it was sick to put her through his own shitty life, but he didn't want to be without her. He craved the feel of his skin against hers, her legs wrapped around his waist, the sound of her soft moans. It drove him crazy, he wanted her to be only his.

Did he love her? Pete couldn't answer it, he only knew that he was obsessed with the way that she acted around him, how she would tense up at his breath on her neck, how she was high on him. Pete groaned, he was twisted, this wasn't love, this was a need.

Carmen had worked her way like a drug into his system, and Pete had given in, wanting to drown in her.