Chapter 5: A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More "Touch Me"

"You can make all the moves, you can aim all the spotlightsGet all the sighs and the moans just right,"

Get all the sighs and the moans just right,"

PETE remained quiet the whole journey back to his apartment; he was smoking again. Carmen watched him secretly, taking in every part of him, even when he was nervously smoking, he still looked beautiful. His dark hair was messy, where he had been running his hand through it, and a hint of stubble. Beyond his features, Carmen knew he wore a mask, that hid something else about him, and she was determined to find out.

"Those things will kill you," she spoke softly, with a hint of a joke.

He looked up at her and smirked, "At least I have control over the thing that kills me," he replied back, chewing on his bottom lip.

Carmen nodded, it was a fair point. "I'm sorry for whatever happened between you two, I know it's not my business, but you should push to see your son more."

She knew she was crossing a line, but she had to push to get past the mask he wore.

Pete huffed, "You don't think I want to? Bronx is my kid too. I agree I've been a shitty father, and I've done some bad shit. Just trying you know..." he paused, "to sort myself out."

Carmen nodded and didn't say anything else, she had managed to break a wall down. She wasn't going to press any further, she was sure that he wasn't a bad father, but the other thing had her thinking.

They sat in front of the TV with a random film on in the background, but they weren't really watching. Pete was clearly preoccupied in thought and Carmen was trying to work out what to say to him. It had been a few days since they had met, but Carmen had never wanted to leave his side. Pete seemed to be comfortable with her presence, and always asked her to stay. He was respectful and slept on the sofa, despite Carmen repeatedly telling him she didn't mind the sofa.

Carmen finally caved and decided it was her time to take control. She turned to him and shifted slightly so she could touch him, a lazy smile played on his face as her hands trailed up to the reach the back of his neck. Without hesitating, she pulled him close to her and their lips met. He hesitated but kissed back slowly, testing the boundaries. Before they knew it, the kissing had become intense, and despite the amount he smoked, he tasted like spearmint. Every thought disappeared from their heads as the moment grew more passionate.

Pete had fully given in, there was no going back now, she was all he could think about. He pulled back and shut his eyes briefly before pushing her back and climbing over her, pinning her to the sofa. His lips met her collarbone, sucking at the skin to make little marks. She was his. Pete smiled at the barely inaudible moans that left her mouth. He pulled back, watching Carmen flush with embarrassment and mumble an apology, but he couldn't stop. His top was thrown to the ground, but before he could take charge, her delicate fingers had begun to trace the tattoos on his body, stopping at the tattoo just above his trouser line. He swore before grabbing her wrists and pinning them above her head. No games. His spare hand trailed the length of her thigh, and their eyes met.

"I'm in charge," he spoke, pulling her to kiss him.

***

Carmen woke the next morning beside Pete. It was the first time they had shared a bed. She swallowed and pulled the sheets to cover her body, something felt wrong. They barely knew each other. Carmen lay her head against the headboard and sighed, memories of the night before flashed to her mind and she smiled to herself. She definitely did not regret the events that unfolded, but something played on the back of her mind.

"Morning," Pete whispered.

Carmen smiled over at him and giggled. She watched as he put some shorts on and stood up, stretching and groaning. Just hearing him make those noises sent shivers down her spine.

"You are going to be addictive," he commented smirking at the naked women in his bed.

Carmen threw the nearest pillow at him, which he caught and threw right back before grabbing one of her ankles and pulling her down the bed. He placed his hands either side of her body and he smirked, "I can't get enough of you," but before he could make a move, she spoke, "You spoke in your sleep."

Pete's smirk disappeared and he straightened back up, "What did I say?" he asked, eyes lingering on her bare skin.

"Just mumbles of some sort, it doesn't matter."

"Mmm, well if it doesn't matter, why bring it up?" He was smart and wanted this conversation over with.

"Just something about you begging or something, like if Ashlee left you, you'd mess up again."

Pete's usual calm mask shattered as he blushed and nodded before walking into the bathroom and starting the shower up. Carmen sighed, she knew she shouldn't have brought it up but if they were sleeping together now, he had to expect her to be interested. She slipped out of the sheets and threw on his top and some shorts and headed to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. She was so distracted by the situation that she had walked right passed some random mail that had been shoved through the letterbox. It was only when she saw a handwritten note that she picked it up out of curiosity and read it:

Hello Pete, it's been a while since we spoke. You still owe me. Please consider this note before I pay a visit to your friend.

Carmen's hand shook as she read it, it was blackmail, and she was involved. She made sure the door of the apartment was locked before looking up at Pete who had entered the room. His hair was dripping wet and he had wrapped a towel around his body. He walked over to Carmen, who was frozen in place and placed a stray strand of her behind her ear.

"Carmen?" he spoke quietly, but her reply was handing the note into his hand.