Chapter 8: Flashback Part 1

"So boycott loveDetox just to retoxAnd I'd promise you anything for another shot at life,"

"So boycott love
Detox just to retox
And I'd promise you anything for another shot at life,"

- Disloyal Order Of Water Buffaloes

"EVERYONE get out of the way! Pregnant momma trying to get through!" Pete yelled at the many cameramen and women who were stood trying to snap photos of them both.

"When's it due?" someone yelled as more flashes fired their way.

Pete shielded Ashlee protectively and she continued to hide her face. It hurt Pete, watching her fight and suffer in front of people who didn't give a damn about their decency, they just needed some news for money.

"Get off our property!" Pete yelled at a man who was attempting to climb the fence.

The man laughed and walked away with his camera. The crowd at the gate opening parted and a brutish-looking man pushed through, smiling directly at Pete. He raised a huge fist and smashed it down on Pete's nose, blood spurted out and the crowd gasped, continuing to take photos. Pete kicked back with force and the man grunted, "Just fuck off," Pete muttered, spitting blood on the floor in front of him.

The man just smiled, and Pete launched another punch into him, aiming for his stomach. Pete's bodyguards dragged him away as he screamed, "I will kill you, just wait because that whore of yours will die first."

Pete breathed heavily and watched as the gates to his house kept the paparazzi out. He wandered back into his house, wiping the blood away with his sleeve.

"Pete!" Ashlee called out from upstairs.

Her voice calmed him down, he forgot about everything when he was with her, "Yes?" he called out.

"Come take a bath with me please?" she called out and Pete couldn't say no.

Pete stroked his dog, Hemmingway's ears as he walked up the stairs towards the bathroom. He wasn't prepared for the noise Ashlee would make as she cried out upon seeing his bloody face.

"Pete?" she moaned as if she were in pain.

Pete took a step back from her and smiled, "It's nothing," he spoke soothingly and grabbed a flannel to wash his face. "Start the bath, and I'll join you."

"Okay," Ashlee replied as she shakingly turned on the taps.

Pete could hear her humming a familiar tune as she walked into the bathroom, it was one of their songs. He had managed to wipe the blood away from his face, but it didn't hide the bruising that had come out. He winced and turned around to look at his wife. She was beautiful, she took off her bathrobe and stepped into the warm water, sighing with relief. Her bump stood above the water, it was their baby, and Pete had never felt so happy about something. Her skin had picked up a bronzed glow and her hair trailed over the edge of the bathtub. She had shut her eyes, "It's lovely," she whispered.

Pete breathed out slowly, and his heart picked up in pace as he undressed and stepped into the water behind her. She leant back against him and Pete moaned quietly. "You're funny," she giggled.

She placed her head on his chest and glanced up at him before placing a kiss to the underside of his chin, "We're safe here, we can have the baby and raise him here, it will all be fine," she reassured.

Pete picked up on her words and kissed the top of her head, "What makes you think it's going to be a boy?" he murmured against her hair.

"I can feel it, he's going to be just like his daddy. A ladies man," she giggled at the thought and Pete shut his eyes once more.

Ashlee's word was not enough, the bodyguards were not enough, the gate wasn't enough. He needed to ring a friend, he had to defend his family, and he needed the worst man he knew for the job.