Chapter 19: American Beauty / American Pyscho

"She's an American beautyI'm an American psycho,"

I'm an American psycho,"

TODAY was the day. They were going to get married.

Carmen sat there in a plush chair in a room she had grown to hate over the hours she had been sat there staring out the window, longing to feel some fresh air. Sarah had found three top stylists in the city to come and do Carmen's makeup and hair for the day, but although Sarah had got on with them well, Carmen felt a bit intimidated. She just wanted to sleep, she was exhausted and anxious, and she didn't know if that was a mix of the drugs that the doctor was trialling on her or the sleepless night she encountered because she was getting married.

The first stylist, Zara, had platinum blonde hair in a high ponytail and bright green eyes that darted around quickly as she focused on her work. Carmen couldn't help but stare in awe at how pretty she was until Zara noticed her staring and stopped what she was doing to cast her bright eyes towards Carmen's nervous ones. Carmen smiled meekly and tore her gaze away to the other stylist who was talking to Sarah in the corner, Alice.

Alice had an energy that completely opposed Zara's quiet, mysterious one, she was bubbly and friendly. She had already finished on Carmen's makeup and was playing with her cropped red hair whilst giggling about the memory of Brendon and Sarah's wedding. Carmen sighed uncomfortably and looked down at her socks, before noticing the other stylist, Nat, who was waiting to talk to Carmen.

"Sorry," she mumbled admiring Nat's honey brown hair that had been pulled up into a messy bun.

"You can put your dress on now," she spoke and nodded at her team before leaving the room.

"Alice?" Carmen whispered.

Alice turned around and smiled, "Could you help me please," Carmen asked nervously, gazing down at the bruises that formed too easily on her arms now.

Whilst Alice and Sarah sorted out the wedding dress, Carmen clutched at the business card in her pocket, she hadn't done anything about it yet but she kept it close, waiting for the moment she was ready to ring the number on the back. Hurriedly shoving it into the bag on the floor, she stood up shakily and was helped into her wedding gown. She took a few deep breaths before looking into the mirror for the first time since the morning. Her skin had taken on a paler shade over the weeks since becoming ill, but Alice had worked magic on her makeup, she had applied natural shades to her eyelids and some eyeliner. Her honey-coloured eyes stood out more than ever and she smiled at her appearance, feeling beautiful for the first time in months. The dress hugged her curves, lace dancing from her wrists up but leaving her shoulders bare. It was simple but perfect.

"Thank you," she breathed.

"Could I have a few minutes alone?" she asked, and Sarah nodded, leaving with Alice.

She didn't dare to sit down in the dress and so reached for her phone, steadying herself with the other hand, she had memorised the number on the card. Taking a deep breath, she pressed the dial button and waited.

"Hello?" a voice spoke, and Carmen panicked; she couldn't reply, and the line went silent except for his breathing.

"Who is calling?" he had begun to get impatient.

"It-It's Carmen," she stammered out.

"Ah, Miss Bailey. I know who you are, I don't need to hear anymore, Peter's new fiancé," he spat back, and Carmen licked her dry lips nervously.

"I just want to know who you are, it's Leonardo right?"

Leonardo laughed on the other end of the line, "Why are you calling on your wedding day?" he asked quietly, and Carmen swallowed.

"How do you know about that?"

"Pete and I go back a long time Miss Bailey, I am surprised he has not mentioned me. Let me just say that we are... good friends," he murmured.

"Friends?" Carmen asked.

"I'll be seeing you sooner than you think Miss Bailey," and the line went dead.

***

Carmen looked up from her shaking hands and into Pete's eyes, her heart faltered, and she smiled, she was safe beside him. Walking down the aisle had been a slow and painful experience but upon standing next to Pete, the pain disappeared. His arm wrapped around her waist and she allowed herself to melt into his side, she belonged here. Pete brought his lips to her ear, "You look beautiful," and he kissed the side of her head.

Vows and rings were exchanged and the whole room lit up with cheer and claps, it was an intimate ceremony with only close family and friends. Pete and Carmen had lost themselves in an embrace and the noise in the room melted away to them, "Mrs Wentz," he whispered, and Carmen giggled.

"That is scary," she murmured but couldn't help smiling.

They pulled away from their embrace to face Patrick, Andy and Joe who are all smiling with them, "Can't believe I'm watching you marry your best friend," Patrick spoke and wiped his eyes.

Pete didn't respond, instead, he pulled the three men into a group hug. Carmen stepped back and smiled at them, they were one strong band and she admired them so much. She couldn't quite believe she had married into this family.

"Care to join us, Mrs Wentz?" Joe called out and Carmen laughed, shaking her head.

But before she could decide, Andy had grabbed her gently and pulled her in. This was her family until the day she died, and she thought it was perfect.

"Congratulations to you both," a voice spoke out from the back of the room, and the buzzing murmur died down.

Carmen's breath hitched and she felt Pete stiffen beside her, the group had pulled away from the hug to see who the surprise visitor was. Pete's face had turned a pale chalky colour and he took a step in front of Carmen, who had placed a hand nervously on his arm. Pete had every idea who this guest was, but he hadn't been expecting to meet him today. He had somehow managed to into the building despite the security measures, of course he had, Leonardo always paid attention to detail.

"Leonardo?" It was Carmen that broke the silence, she stepped into view and she watched him smirk.

Pete didn't have a chance to understand how they knew each other and before he could speak, Leonardo was laughing darkly in his face.

"You still owe me," he spoke, emphasising every word.