6 // sh

Work. Work was good.

Work was busy, it was time-consuming, thought-consuming. Work meant not doing or thinking about anything but the work.

Work was distracting. Work was productive.

Yes, work was good for Sasuke.

Just not when it included his brother.

"You told her what?"

Sasuke groaned, ripping the man out of the water. He began to gasp for air, begging for release. "P-please, I'll tell you anything!"

"Good," said Sasuke, "Now who is Kakashi selling to?" Before the man could answer, Sasuke shoved him forward again, dunking his head into the tub.

Naruto did the same to the other shoulder, grasping the back of the man's head as he gargled beneath the bathwater. "What the fuck did you do to her, dude?"

"Shut up, Naruto," Sasuke seethed, and ripped the man back upright onto his knees on the tiled floor. "Talk!"

"O-o-okay! Kakashi is selling to someone on the east side of town, but that's all I know!" The man sputtered again, his thinning hair dangling over his face in gross, muddy strands.

"Keep trying," Sasuke growled, and shoved him back into the water.

"I cannot believe you, Sasuke," Naruto said. "We get a good thing going, a hot piece of ass ready at anytime, and you tell her to fuck off. Unbelievable. And after I offered to back off too!"

"This isn't about you, dobe," Sasuke said, keeping the man's thrashing legs in place. "I just got tired of her. You are still welcome to fuck her as you please."

"That's a load of bullshit," Naruto said, yanking back on the man's head.

He was crying now. "Ple-ea-ease," he sobbed. "S-sto-op..."

"Wrong answer," Naruto said. "This will be a lot easier if you just fess up, man." And his head went back down again. "You're into her, and you just couldn't handle it!"

"I already told you! I don't like her!" Sasuke yanked back again, and screamed, "Fucking talk you piece of shit!"

"GAARA!" The guy shouted, in between blubbering sobs. "Ha-take Kaka-shi is s-s-selling to the Sa-Sand e-estat-t-te!"

"How much," Naruto asked, yanking on his hair.

"Ga-ga-ara is try-ying t-t-t-to get-t-t-t into the b-business," he said. "I d-don't know how much that is, n-now p-please!"

"Thanks," Naruto said, and shoved him back under the water. "Sasuke you son of a bitch! Just fucking talk to her."

"I told you," Sasuke said, standing up and taking out his gun. "I. Don't. Love. Hinata!" The gun went off, leaving the water where the man's head had been a deep crimson. Sasuke's shoulders shook as he stared at the bloody water, panting in ragged, angry breaths.

Naruto's eyes were massive, and for once, he was out of words. "Bro," Naruto said, releasing the body and holding up his hands. "Relax."

Sasuke sighed, throwing his gun at Naruto. "You're cleaning up tonight," he said. "I have to report."

Naruto nodded, tucking the gun in his coat. Sasuke shoved past the bathroom door and into the rich apartment. Stopping at the sleek, modern fridge, he opened the door to search for a drink. Sasuke scoffed. "You'd think with as much money this guy makes working for Orochimaru, he could afford better beer."

Naruto sidled up through the apartment. "Sasuke, I need to mix the acid. You got the ingredients?"

Sasuke pulled a brown bottle out of the fridge, and popped off the cap on the countertop. As he downed a gulp, he reached into his coat pocket and tossed Naruto a tiny jar of powder.

"Ugh," Naruto said, staring at Sasuke's beer. "You'd think with how much money this guy makes, he could afford better beer."

"Right?" Sasuke swallowed with a wince, and handed the bottle to Naruto. "He won't be needing it anytime soon. Just get on with it and I'll let Orochimaru know what happened."

"All right," his brother said, and turned away without another word about Hinata.

Sasuke shut the door to the condo behind him, sighing heavily. He knew this wouldn't be the last he would hear about her. For a moment, he wondered if he made the right choice. But then, his resolve hardened, and he was back to work.

He thought he could live that way for the rest of his life, if he was careful. But life is never so simple, and stories worth telling are rarely cautious.