7 // sh

Sasuke straightened his tie, smoothing a hand over the crisp, white shirt beneath his tuxedo. Naruto walked into the bathroom behind him, adjusting his cuff links. "You clean up good, bro."

        "I look like a fucking prick," Sasuke grumbled, moving out of the way for Naruto to get to the mirror.

        Naruto snickered, leaning toward the mirror to fix his hair. "Ah, don't be such a grump. You know we're needed at these things."

        "Whatever," Sasuke said, fixing his own cuffs. "I hate socializing."

        "You never do anyway," Naruto laughed, turning to face his best friend. "You just let me do the talking. The key is to blend in."

        "You act like it's the first fancy party I've worked," Sasuke shot.

        "It's called a gala, you peasant," Naruto teased, pinching his brother's cheek.

        Sasuke slapped his hand away. "Fuck you."

        "No thanks," Naruto smirked. "Although, I am hoping to find some nice action tonight. Hopefully Orochimaru doesn't have us too busy and I can actually meet someone; you know, since you ruined my last gig."

        Sasuke rolled his eyes, breathing in steadily through his nose. Sighing, he turned to his twin. "How long are you going to hold this over my head?"

        Naruto flopped down on Sasuke's sofa. "Until I get laid again. Which, by the way, has not happened in three months."

        "And you act like that's my fault," Sasuke chuckled.

        "Watch it, bro," Naruto teased. "Karma's going to come for you. Just wait."

_______________

        Jesus. Sasuke couldn't hide the irritated creases that were settling onto his face. The gala was massive. The space he had rented out was an entire theater, one that had just been renovated and restored in the better part of the city. Despite the size, Sasuke practically had to squeeze past the bodies dressed to the nines that crammed into the doorway, just to get into the space. When he looked up, he saw bright chandeliers hung low all around them. Waitstaff twirled around them with fancy hors d'oeuvres and champagne. Crystals twined toward the ceiling, looped with real flowers in what Sasuke could only guess was the fall colors.

        "Oh," Naruto said, sniffing one. "Chrysanthemums."

        Sasuke just stared at his best friend with disgust. "Dude. Be cool."

        "Hey," Naruto shot. "Chicks love a sensitive guy."

        Sasuke snickered. "Is that why you've been getting laid so much?"

        Naruto went to punch Sasuke, but he pulled back when he looked over Sasuke's shoulder. "Oh, there's our boss. And hey," Naruto said lusciously, "and he brought some arm candy."

        Sasuke saw Orochimaru in the center of the floor, his arm settled around his company. She wore a black dress that fell to her ankles, made of silk and something soft. Her shoulders shimmied, tossing off thick locks of deep midnight hair with auburn at the end of ever strands of her hair. She shifted, but her back was turned to Sasuke and he couldn't see her face. But as he continued to watch, she stepped back, and Sasuke stopped in his tracks. She was made of slender legs and swaying hips, a soft frame cresting her body. Her back was open, supple and very familiar. Or rather, Sasuke would say, unforgettable. No.

        But it was all too true. As the woman turned in Orochimaru's embrace, tossing her newly colored hair back from her shoulder in bouncing curls as she laughed, her lavander eyes shifted to the entrance. Then, her expression fell, and all the pain Sasuke had been avoiding flooded back into her face.

        Looking to where Sasuke stared, Naruto's own eyes widened. He leaned in, resting a hand on Sasuke's shoulder. "Wow," he winced, talking low. "Karma really is a bitch."