Prologue

When I was a child, I was terrified of the dark. My father would tell me that I am not actually afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what lurks in it.

My father taught me that darkness is not something to be afraid of, but something you should embrace. You see darkness everyday.

You blink, you see darkness.

You make a bad decision, darkness.

It's something that lives inside us and we should welcome it because one day it might save you. Although...there's one thing we should be afraid of. One thing that lingers among the your head, it's called, "prefrontal cortex".

It's the part of your brain that is responsible for your negative thoughts.

I have a different name for it, I called it "bugbear", I came up with the name when I was a child. The true definition of bugbear is 'a cause of obsessive fear, irritation, or loathing.' I believed that the more I fed into it, the more it consumed my happy thoughts.

I made sure I created a barrier around it in my head, I didn't want it near any good memories, but that all changed, as usual.

My barrier was broken when my husband was killed by the Boltons, the Freys and the Lannisters.

It is said that when you play the game of thrones, you either win or die.

I never understood that until I was dragged into the game and I had to fight like hell to win.

My name is Senna Martell. And I will not die.