TWENTY-NINE

Eliza's squad had arrived back at The Hall far later than they'd expected. Far too late to intervene. Ajax had broken out of his cell and defeated Kai for the third time.

Despite the boy's protests, Dylo had wheeled him into the infirmary upon seeing the damage done to him. Skin had been ripped off of his face. The boy looked as if he'd been repeatedly battered with a jackhammer.

Even with the boy's healing factor, Troy wouldn't have been surprised if the guy was pronounced dead in a few hours.

Dylo and Amber had to walk out of the room. They simply couldn't look at him like that.

Leo felt that he could've done something, that he should've done something. He'd one-shotted Ajax back at the Agnus Labs, yet something had hindered him from attacking the man once again. He felt that Kai was on the brink of death because of him.

Troy had yearned to go straight to the Battleground, which thankfully hadn't been touched by the horde of Primus agents. He desperately needed to get more powerful-they all did-if they were going to take down Dr. Matthews. Though, he didn't know if it was possible to defeat the man when he possessed abilities like the ones he'd showcased the day before.

Director Callan had called a meeting in The Cortex, so that was where they were for the day. Troy flopped down at the table, staring at Kai's empty seat. He bit the inside of his cheek with enough force to tear through the flesh.

Kai not being there just didn't sit well with him. They were all shaken up. Especially Director Callan.

"I wish we could be meeting under better circumstances, but I need to inform you of a few things." Director Callan began as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Please don't give us any bad news. I don't know if I can take anymore." Dylo pleaded from the back of the room, throwing his head back in exhaustion.

"Yeah, you and me both." Troy muttered, his voice slightly muffled due to his head resting on his fist. He often did that when he was upset. It helped him suppress his anger.

"You alright, Raymond?" Eliza asked from across the room, posted up against the wall as she sharpened her dagger. "I heard Steel clocked you pretty hard in the jaw yesterday."

"I'm fine." Troy grumbled, sighing as he looked down at the coal-colored table. "It was just a lucky shot, that's all."

"Lucky?" Dylo stifled a laugh as he tilted his head to the side.

Troy glared at the blond. "Shut up." His exterior may have looked angry, but he was smiling on the inside at their banter. At the beginning of all this, he'd mentally inhibited himself from becoming attached to any of his teammates, but after that talk with Kai, he'd decided to give it a go.

So far, everything was going great. He felt that these people were more of a family to him than his father had ever been. He wondered how all of this would end. Not the team's final confrontation with Primus, but where he'd end up afterwards.

He secretly hoped that Director Callan would offer to let him stay at The Hall, though he was too scared to ask. After all, there were hundreds of vacant bedrooms, and he already had his own, which he'd just begun customizing. Hopefully he wouldn't have to go back to living with his mother, who never gave him the time of day.

Callan sighed, clearing his throat loudly. "I'm sorry, but I don't think you'll find this news satisfying by any means. After going through those Primus archives that Adam found on yesterday's mission, I've uncovered some chilling evidence about Elliott's alliance with Elias."

Adam shivered in his seat. His suspicions about Dr. Matthews had been correct the entire time. His team hadn't been able to take the time to watch the other video messages, so he was very eager to see what they held in store.