Chapter One - White Roses

Chapter One: White Roses

I had never seen so many flowers in my life.

They were everywhere; laced up and down the winding staircase's banister, pinned to the ceiling between endless green vines, arranged meticulously in glass vases around the room. Any way you turned; your eyes were assaulted with the overwhelming glare of white rose petals and pearls. I wondered how many gardens my aunt had raided to find enough flowers to fill our entire house.

The rest of my family lounged in various places around the main living room, watching my reaction with snickering expressions. Among them was my fiancée, sprawled across his favorite couch, who simply held up his hands in defeat when I met his eyes accusingly; he'd had nothing to do with this, but from the grin on his face, I knew he was glad someone had thought of it. My father and mother sat together in the large armchair near the fireplace and I could see them attempting not to laugh, the smile tugging at my mother's lips. Mama just winked at me, and Dad's lips quirked in a bemused expression. I'd seen enough pictures and heard enough stories from their wedding to know that our family event planner had done something similar for them, so I was sure they all found this pretty damn hilarious.

"Well?" my Aunt Alice prodded, "What do you think, Nessie?" She looked at me hopefully, amber eyes sparkling.

"It looks... wow, Aunt Alice. Wow," I said with an awkward smile. My cheeks burned at the lie, and I plucked a rose from a nearby bouquet so I could hide my reddening face behind its petals. The sweet scent invaded my nose as I inhaled, trying to forget that all these flowers were here just for me. I'd been the one to ask for roses; now, I'd have enough to get me through the next decade. Looking back to my dark-haired aunt, I added, "Thank you. I'm sure the guests will adore them."

She grinned proudly, shooting a pointed look towards my parents. "I told you she'd love it."

My dad chuckled, no doubt hearing the contradictory thoughts echoing around my head.

Aunt Alice shot a glare in his direction, causing Mama to give him a scolding flick to the ear. Jake and Emmett couldn't hide their amusement at the display of affection, both of them rolling their eyes.

"Nessie," Auntie said, coming back to me, "I've got the perfect vision all figured out. A big arch with a canopy branching out from it, dripping in these beautiful flowers. It'll be a waterfall of petals! And–

"That's enough," Aunt Rose scolded with a shake of her head, coming to stand between me and Alice who reluctantly relinquished my attention. "We've got to get her ready for tonight." Scowling, Rose turned her glare to the men in the room. "Out. Take the dog someplace else so we can air the house before our company arrives."

Jacob rolled his eyes, getting up off the couch. He forced his way around Aunt Rose, ignoring her glowering gaze and giving me a peck on the lips before he could be dragged off. "Don't have too much fun without me," he teased, squeezing my hand and grinning.

"Never," I answered with a coy smirk, touching his temple as I conveyed my love to him. It was my favorite way to have a somewhat private moment with him in a house full of vampires who could hear our every word. He kissed my hand, growling as Uncle Emmett tugged on the back of his t-shirt.

"Let's go, lover boy. Edward's already outside pouting," he said, not heeding the playful, warning snarl.

Jacob touched his lips to my cheek before Uncle Jasper came and shoved him along, too, the chortling vampires half carrying him out the door. Grandfather went after them, pausing when he reached me and smiling fondly as he pressed his cool lips to my forehead.