Victory

1945

1945

Wang Xiao Xing sits on the blanket, chewing apple slices with her cute little milk teeth. At two years old, she is a quiet delicate pixie looking baby with the longest lashes you will ever see, and spends most of her time observing everything around her with her soulful eyes. Currently her mother is feeding her her favourite fruit, while her father, who when she was born, grinned widely and stated that it was his honoured destiny to be surrounded by beautiful Wang /Shen women for all his life, is placing candles on a fresh strawberry cake with strawberry buttercream icing. They are at the beach to celebrate He Li's eigth birthday.

Xiao Xing named after her mother's sister, is watching her two older sisters bicker, some things never change, about who should get to use their mother's red parasol with gold trim, for the walk on the beach they plan to take after cake. Apparently the parasol is from her mother's younger days when she was a singer in Shanghai. The taller sister, Yuèqín insists that it's more suitable for someone her age, and at fourteen it's only right that she possess an accessory of such sophistication and exquisite detail. He Li, the one Xiao Xing shares a bedroom with, is adamant that because she is the birthday girl, she should be the one to use this coveted parasol. As they tug on it, as if rope, He Di towers over them and snatches the parasol from them in one fell swoop.

"Come girls, we are about to light the candles and sing Happy Birthday."

He Di places the parasol on the blanket next to Yue and Xiao Xing,  ignoring the mutinous glares on the faces of two of his offspring.

"It's your special day Lili." He continues. "Turning  eight is a big deal Baobao."

"No it's not." Mutters Yuèqín, rolling her eyes at He Li.

"Yuèqín!" Snaps He Di giving her a warning look. "Not today!"

"I'm sorry Daddy." She says contritely.

He Di's features relax and he smiles, beckoning to them to huddle around the cake. They sing Happy Birthday and He Li blows out the candles, the whole family clapping.

"Would you like to open your present from your father and me?" Asks Yue.

"Yes please Mama."

He Di lifts up the big brown box and places it in front of He Li, who is kneeling on the blanket. She opens it up excitedly and gasps when she sees the colourful and intricate dragon kite inside.

 She opens it up excitedly and gasps when she sees the colourful and intricate dragon kite inside