Restoration

He Li walks through customs feeling exhausted from all the travelling

He Li walks through customs feeling exhausted from all the travelling. It's just as well she told everyone she would take a taxi home, because she needs a few minutes alone to take in the sights and recharge before seeing them all. She is hit by a sudden wave of nostalgia when she reaches the Arrivals hall and sees a sea of faces that look like hers. She didn't realize how much she has missed her home... her life in France is so full of activities and adventures, sometimes she barely has time to stop and think. Jean-Marc has a huge social circle of artist friends, so while the source of creativity and inspiration never ends, sometimes she wishes that she wasn't always the "exotic" one at such gatherings.

She is rifling through her purse when she feels at tap on her shoulder. Absentmindedly she glances up and freezes when she sees the familiar pair of eyes looking at her.

"Yuèqín?"

"Hello He Li."

"This is...this is unexpected."

"Mama insisted someone be here to pick you up. Everybody else was busy." She tails off.

"So it's just us then?" He Li looks behind Yuèqín as if to confirm this point.

"It's just us." Sighs Yuèqín. "Disappointed?"

"I didn't say that." He Li frowns, feeling irritated.

Yuèqín looks down at He Li's two suitcases and says,

"Is that your Luggage then? I'll grab this one."

She picks up one bag and starts walking briskly ahead. He Li has no choice but to follow her to the car. The first few minutes of the car ride are silent  with Yuèqín focused on the road ahead and He Li looking out the window and reliving her earlier days. She can't help but smile at the crowded streets and the food market signs advertising dishes she has not eaten in years. She feels her appetite coming back and can't wait to embark on a mini culinary tour when she has a few free days to herself. She will be in Hong Kong for a month before returning to Paris.

Feeling weird that she is not making conversation with Yuèqín after not seeing her for such a long time, He Li decides to give it a shot.

"How are Bohai, Jun and Bojing?" She asks.

"Oh you mean, as you put it so eloquently, the symbols of my wasted life? They are fine thank you." Yuèqín replies in a cheery voice.

He Li grits her teeth and closes her eyes feeling a tension headache come on. So it seems Yuèqín has not forgotten what she said to her.

"You know I didn't mean that." He Li says casually.

"No I don't know that actually! You've never clarified otherwise." Responds Yuèqín in a clipped tone.

"Is this how it's going to be for the duration of my stay?"