Chapter Five • edited

Moira had an idea to get everyone together to get to know each other more.

"Hello." She addressed everyone, who gave her quizzical stares. " I've had an idea to get us to know each other. Please, sit and have a nice time," she sat, not looking up, but hoping everybody would stay.

Nora was the first to sit, and everybody followed suit. Violet and Tate were the last to sit, both at each end if the table. Vivian and Ben smiled at Moira, and mothed a thanks to her. Vivian knew it was a good idea, as they were going to be living together forever, or until the house was knocked down.

What will happen then? She thought silently to herself, Taint nudging past her feet, probably to the end of the table to sit at Violets feet. The poor cat never left her alone.

"Did I miss much?" Constance smiled as she took the one remaining seat next to Chad and Patrick, who were holding hands once again. They were always arguing, but they had always solved it by the end of the day.

At the end of the table, Violet wrung her hands together under the table, wishing she could just run out of there. She didn't want to become friends with the others, she just wanted to be alone with her parents and Taint.

At the other end, Tate sat gazing at Violet, wishing he could just go over and comfort her, but he knew he couldn't. They weren't that close to friendship yet.

The only other person who watched Violet was Dace, who was sat next to Nora. They chatted a lot, and Dace learned about what life was like when she was alive.

"I had these beautiful dresses." She said mournfully, clutching the hem of her pearl adorned dress. "They had many pearls, rubies, sapphires. But when the new families moved in, they sold them. I haven't seen them since, and only have this," Nora gazed off into space, daydreaming about her dresses.

Dace laughed lightly, and smiled across at Hayden, who gave him a flirty smile back.

"Tate!" Violet called down the table across the noise, and Tate looked up, hesitatnt.

Violet beckoned for him to follow her, and she slipped out of the dining hall to her room unnoticed. Tate followed, making sure nobody was watching.

"What's up?" He asked as he reached her bedroom, her back to him.

"I got you a present," she turned, holding a gift barely wrapped in tissue paper.

He opened it: inside was a black stemmed rose.

"I know how you don't like normal things," she murmured, and he pulled her in, wrapping his arms around her.
They were like that for a while, until the door was thrown open, and Ben Harmon was stood in the doorway.

"Get your unworthy hands off her," he snarled, wrenching Tate from her arms and shoving him from the doorway.

Violet looked at Ben, and shoved past him, one single glistening teardrop rolling down her face.

"Tate!" She shouted, "Come back!" She finally found him in the cellar, where he sat on the floor, also crying.

"What's the point in trying to get you back, when all he does is keeps me away?" He mumbled through tears.

"He can't keep me away if I love you, and I don't want you to go away anymore," Tate looked up at her, and she fell into him.

His arms were around her again, holding her tight, and she never wanted him to let go, ever again.

All the way in the dining hall, Dace sat fuming. He wanted Violet to love him, not Tate. Why? Because Violet looked exactly like Carly.

And back in the hallway, Ben stood laughing. He was only joking. No need to take it seriously, he thought.