Chapter Eight • edited

"Violet," Tate shook Violet awake, and she yawned, stretching like a cat and almost shoving Taint off the edge of the bed.

"Hey," she murmured, eyes half closed.

She sat up and pulled Taint on her lap, pulling the covers up around them.

"I'm just wondering; what're you doing on Hallowe'en?" He knew there wasn't much chance she'd go somewhere with him, as she was probably going to go our somewhere with her parents.

"Well, Mom and Dad are going to a romantic place a few blocks from here, so I'll probably just walk around town. What about you?" she replied, kissing Taint on her silky little head.

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to come with me to the beach?" He held his breath and crossed his fingers behind his back.

"What about those students, the ones we saw last Hallowe'en?" She queried.

"I want to see them. I need to talk to them, hope they can forgive me," he mumbled under his breath, and she pulled him in for a hug, Taint quietly mewing between them.

"Good for you," she said, smiling,

"Okay, I'll come with you," Violet decided, and suddenly shocked Tate by reaching over and kissing him softly. She pulled him in for another hug, "I've missed you,"

***

"Mom? Dad?" Vivian and Ben were already sat at the table with the meal Moira had made, and Violet dawdled behind her chair, "I was wondering if you wouldn't mind me going off on Hallowe'en. I'm going to the beach with Tate,"

Vivian and Ben shared a look, and Vivian smiled warmly at her daughter, "sure, honey. Be back by midnight,"

Violet grinned and pulled the chair back, "that's like the first time since ever I've had a curfew," she laughed, and dug in to the meal.

Violet so badly wanted time alone with Tate, especially out of the house. She didn't know how longer she could handle being cooped up in there. And besides, she wouldn't get another chance like this for another year.

"So what are we going to do instead?" Ben asked Vivian, and Ben whipped out a brochure from under the table.

"Constance said shed give us some money for this wonderful restaraunt," he offered Vivian the brochure, and she slipped it out of his hand, clicking through.

"Sounds great, and looks very romantic!" She added, and Violet left them to work put the details.

"Hey Moira," Violet took her plate into the kitchen, where Moira was washing up pots and pans.

She took the plate from Violets hands, "How are they?" She nodded in the direction of the dining room, and washed the plate.

"Okay. Dad is taking Mom to this really romantic place on the other side of town. What are you going to be doing that night?"

"I don't know. " Moira said sadly, "I might just visit Constance, even though we hate each others guts. She did kill me, after all," she tried to laugh but it got stuck in her throat and she swallowed it down, sadly smiling at Violet.

"Don't worry. It'll get better," she said enthusiastically and headed upstairs with some chocolate from the fridge.

"Will it?" Moira said aloud to nobody.