Chapter Nine • edited

Tate swung himself off of Violet's bed and picked up the little furball Taint, who rudely pounced out of his arms and slipped through the door, making Tate laugh lightly.

Violet stirred in her sleep, and twisted over, squinting up at Tate.

"Tate?"

"Yeah?"

"Guess what?" She seemed to gather lots of energy and bounced up from the bed.

"Its Halloween!!!" They couldn't be more eager to leave the house, so Violet pulled on her shoes and took Tate's hand as he led her out of the house.

Outside, Tate breathed in the cold morning air, and signed happily. He hadn't been outside in a whole year, and he'd missed feeling the cold air on his cheeks.

He and Violet practically ran to the beach, and when they got there, panting, they collapsed on the sand.

"Its so nice," Violet said between breaths, "that we get one day a year to leave,"

"Better than no day at all," added Tate, who pulled her back up and dragged her towards the sea, "let's go for a swim!" He said, a little over enthusiastically she thought.

She couldn't swim very well, but that was okay because technically she couldn't die twice.

Technically, anyway!

At nine o'clock, Tate built a fire, and they sat together, feeling déjà vu.

At the edge of the beach, the six victims of Tate's massacre stood, eyeing the couple. The cheerleader smiled.

"I forgive him," she said, and the others all nodded, "its time to get over what he done to us. He needn't live in fear no more," added the emo chick.

Out of the corner of her eye Violet saw the six teens Tate had killed. She watched them walk away and then dissapear. She smiled.

"I missed this," Tate breathed as her wrapped his arms around Violet.

"And I missed us," she added.

At eleven o'clock, Tate stomped on the fire and sighed.

"I guess we'd better start walking back."

"There's one more place I want to go first."

They stopped at the Burger King near the murder house and Violet ordered some fries, Tate a burger.

"Y'know," Tate said through mouthfuls of cheeseburger, "I've needed this so freaking bad!"

Violet laughed, shoving the rest of her fries in her mouth. She glanced at her watch.

"We better go. Its twenty five to midnight." Violet didn't want to leave. It was one of the best nights of her life, and she was annoyed it had only lasted twenty four hours. She wished it would last much, much longer. But she was glad at least she got one day. It was better than nothing.

Inside the house it was dark. It was quarter to midnight, so everybody else was probably on their way back to the murder house.

"How was your night?" Asked Vivian who was snuggled up with Ben on the couch.

"It was okay. We went to the beach. I'm disapointed though. It couldn't have lasted a week or something???"

Vivian smiled. She was disappointed too.

Tate pulled Violet towards him, and she fell into his arms. They stood like that for a few moments, until they decided to leave Vivian and Ben alone to have their moment so they headed up to Violet's room and lay in bed with Taint.

Hallowe'en was one of the best nights if Violet's life, even if she was technically dead.

In the cellar Dace sat alone, holding a picture of Carly. He fell asleep with the photo held to his chest.

***

"So, are we like zombies or vampires or ghosts  something?" Queried Violet as Tate drew patterns on her arm with his fingers.

"I have no idea," replied Tate truthfully, "we can't be ghosts because we can touch objects and humans can see us when we want them too. We can't be zombies because we don't have a craving for flesh, and I guess we can't be vampires because, well-" he opened his mouth wide "-no fangs!"

"Have you spoken to Constance recently?" Asked Violet, changing the subject.

"I was going to go and see her yesterday, to, uh, meet my son, but...you're more important than my son, because I love you, Violet. I have ever since I met you, and even after everything we've been through, I still hope you feel the same." He looked at her hopefully, at her beautiful eyes and shiny hair, at her full lips and perfectly shaped nose.

"And I love you too."

A tear slipped down the side of Tate's face. He was forgiven.

***

This is edited so if you could let me know if there are any mistakes thaml youuu 😊