Chapter 3

This is impossible. Foliage stood blinking in the sun with his tail still inside the tunnel. He was staring at the Stone Wall -- a giant wall of stone separating the northwest tip of Palem from the rest of the continent. It took days to fly from the Forest Kingdom to the Stone Wall, he knew that from his mother. Yet here it was, as solid as the moons themselves. Just then, Foliage heard wing beats, and he turned around to a sight that shocked him even more. Three dragons, flying in his direction -- with forbidding black scales.

This couldn't be happening. The Darkwing tribe was only a myth -- but no WoodWing or MistWing could have scales of that color. Then, to his horror, the dark dragons noticed him. Panicked, Foliage tried to fly away, but they quickly surrounded him and pointed their thin, sharp metal spears in his direction.

"Idiots!" snarled one of the DarkWings. "I told you we should have buried that awful tunnel as soon as we discovered it!" "Let's just kill the WoodWing here and now and get on with our lives," groaned another.  "Wait a minute," said the third DarkWing, carefully observing Foliage, "this WoodWing is the son of General Amber. He could be useful as a hostage." How do they know that?  Foliage wondered in terror. Do they have spies in the Forest Kingdom?  And, most hauntingly of all, What else do they know about us?

"Alright, alright," grumbled the first DarkWing. He opened his mouth, a bolt of purple lightning shot out, and the next thing Foliage knew, he was unconscious once again.