Compromise

"If you send your men out there, they will die!" You yelled at Thrain. He was being unreasonable.

"If I don't send my men out there now, innocent people will die!" Thrain yelled back. 

"And what happens when your men are dead and there is no one left to defend your people!" You argued. 

Thrain fell silent. 

***********

**Two weeks ago**

"Thrain has finally responded to our letter." Thranduil said, he handed you the envelope. 

You read it allowed:

"Thank you for the concern for my kingdom and my son. I regret to inform you that I cannot make a trip to visit you yet. However, I will hold off my army until we kings meet in Rivendell to discuss this darkness and how to handle it. See you in two weeks."

"Well at least its something..." You add after finishing. 

"I have a feeling that he wont be easy to reason with" Thranduil sighed.

************

****The Present****

"Why do elves care what I do with my men?" Thrain asked after a long pause.

"The dwarfs have been kind to me, and I know that we would all be stronger fighting together. We need to wait and come up with a solid strategy to fight this great darkness together!" You tried to reason with Thrain and you felt like you were starting to get through. 

"They do not care. You cannot actually be listening to them father!" Thorin interrupted, you had forgotten that he had and Thranduil were present. 

"Thorin, if there is anything we could do to prevent more death than necessary, we should try!" Thranduil exclaimed, trying to reason with the young prince.

You looked to Thrain, who was seemingly lost in though. 

"Why are you so eager to run off and get yourselves killed?" You asked both Thrain and Thorin. 

Neither of them spoke. 

"Please wait until we know what this is. Let us fight along side each other." You added, and Thranduil nodded to you like he approved of what you said. 

"If you go off half cocked you are risking your lives and the lives of your people, not to mention the rest of our armies, who would have been stronger with your help." You continued. 

Thrain looked at you, searching your eyes for the truth, a truth that he finally found. 

"Okay." Thrain nodded, "We will wait and fight along side you." 

You felt relief wash over you and you smile, placing your hand on Thrain's shoulder. "Thank you!" You exclaimed, and you could not keep the joy from your face. 

"Father, you cannot be serious!" Thorin yelled. 

"I have never been more serious. Now you will obey me and we will wait and fight with the Elves." Thrain scolded.

Thorin huffed, and walked off. 

"It will be a pleasure to fight wither you." Thranduil said to Thrain, and you caught a glimpse of hope displayed across his handsome face. 

********

"I told you that you were really good at pursuading people." Thranduil said when you were alone. 

You smiled at him, and looked out the window. You were in Rivendell, the Kings were all meeting tomorrow to discuss the darkness. You and Thranduil had arrived early to talk to Thrain, and you were grateful that you were able to win Thrain over. 

"Of course, Thorin will try to go over Thrain's head to Thror unless he is convinced that they are making the right choice." Thranduil said, blankly staring at the wall. 

"Well, we will cross that bridge when we get to it, but I really think that Thorin will come around." You said with hope. 

"I love how optimistic you are, even in horrible situations." Thranduil commented. 

"You need a little optimism in your life." You retort. 

"Oh, I do?" Thranduil teased. 

"Yes, before me, you just sat on your throne brooding." You mock, turning to face Thranduil who was now lying back on the bed. 

"Things were a lot more simple before you." Thranduil raised his brow, a smirk on his lips. 

"You mean boring? Yes they were." You smiled. 

You were glad that things could still be light between you and him, you did want to think about how stressful things would soon get.