The Box

I gave up begging as I followed you into the building, there was nothing I could do.

We entered a room with rows of dozens of chairs and very few people all facing the center of attention at the front of the room.

I was scared and I could tell that you were too. You slowly began to walk to the polished black box in the front of the room.

I knew what was in there, it was me. I couldn't let you do this alone. When we reached the casket you hesitated before looking down inside at the body surrounded by the white silk lining.

I looked pale and it was evident someone had put makeup on me. My mouth was some how curved into a little bit of a smile in a bad way of tricking the brain that I was just asleep. My long brown hair looked deeper compared to my pale skin that the makeup couldn't hide. My brown eyes were hidden behind closed eyelids. That was just the shell of me.  I looked to you and I saw tears sliding down your cheeks.

"I'm right here with you, that's not me anymore." I said to you. You gently and very descretely brushed your fingers against the side of my casket as you turned to take a seat away from the small grouping of people (none of which I recognized.)

You sat through the whole funeral service and you didn't even know I sat beside you. I didn't even care that I was dead or that this was my funeral I was attending, I just cared about how sad you looked. Don't get me wrong I was mad at you for coming here. I just wanted to hold your hand or something, just something, to let you know I was fine or that I was here or maybe even let you know it was all okay. I looked at your hand placed on your lap and I thought about it bit I knew I probably couldn't, and if I could I'd probably scare you. I began to feel trapped.

After it was over you got up to walk out of the room with one last short glance at the casket. A girl stopped you in your tracks right in front of you. She looked about our age and had short sholder length curly hair. Freckles speckled her nose and tapered off on her cheeks. Her pretty blue eyes some how looked bluer with her evidence of slightly red eyes from possibly crying.

"You're Patrick, right?" She gave you a slight smile.

"Yeah" you nodded.

"I'm Amy, I was Kats room mate and best friend. I know you don't know me but she talked about you and your band a lot. I went to some of your shows with her."

"She talked about me?" You said surprised and you let a bit of a smile slip through. I was still in astonishment about how I didn't recognize Amy before. I remembered her perfectly and clearly now. My parents died when I first moved into the apartment with her and in some twisted irony hers died months after. We were there for each other the whole time. We told each other all of our secrets she knew I really liked Patrick too and that's exactly what she told him.

"She really liked you, you know."

"I liked her too, I couldn't ever get the nerve to talk to her though." You said with your voice full of regret.

"You should of, she would of liked that. She was a sweet girl, the kind of friend that you only get once in a lifetime." She said.

"I'm really sorry for the loss of your best friend" you said glancing down at your shoes with your hands in your pockets.

"Thank you." She said and reached into her bag and pulled out a small piece of paper and handed it to you. "Here's my number in case you ever want to talk about her or you need a friend."

"Thank you Amy" you said and she gave you a nodd before walking off. You shoved the paper in your pocket and walked out.

On the drive home there was something weird about you, at the time I couldn't place my finger on it. You were so quiet, you almost seemed lost or emotionless like you were a robot. When we got home all hell broke loose... with both of us.

Hey guys! Extra chapter tonight!