sleep

I laid beside an already sleeping Patrick and listened to the sounds of his breath that matched the rise and fall of his chest. I would never be able to do that again and I'd never be able to drift into a peaceful sleep shutting out the world. As I thought this, something came over me. Something I haven't felt in a while, tiredness. The drowsiness that began to blanket me felt very uncontrollable and as it grew heavier and heavier I began to panic. Was this the real end? Was I leaving? I didn't want to leave! No, not now! I was pleading and fighting but it didn't seem to work as I slipped further and further into sleep and my worries faded as I let go.

I suddenly found myself in the kitchen of my old apartment listening to soft sobbing. Was this a dream? I turned around to see my room mate, Amy, sitting at the kitchen table crying. In front of her was a bottle of bleach. "Amy?" I asked as I walked closer toward her but she continued to cry. I didn't understand what was going on until it was too late because it happened very quickly. The bottle of bleach was now to her lips and she was drinking it.

I began to scream in horror and tell her to stop as if she could hear. I could tell that all of her logic had been gone for a long time now. She gagged as the bottle fell to the floor and she followed. I felt so helpless as I looked at the gruesome scene that was playing out in front of me. Why was she doing all of this? This couldn't be real. I shook as I looked at her now laying still on the linoleum floor. I tried to touch her but my hand just went through her body. "Why?! Why would you do this?!" I screamed at her as loud as I could with all the anger and desperation in my voice that I could muster.

"It's okay now Kat." I heard from behind me. I turned to see Amy standing there as plain as day. I just looked from her to her body still on the floor.

"I had to. I was alone. I had no one after you left. My parents are here too." she said and I gave her a puzzled look. "So are yours. They've been here this whole time with you because it wasn't your time to go." she continued.

"What?" was all I could manage to mutter in my shocked state.

"Take it." she said and glanced toward her own body making me even more confused. "I belong here you don't. Go to him."

"What? How? No!". Was she seriously suggesting I somehow take her body?

"It will all be okay when you wake up." she said along with more nonsense that I didn't understand. Then everything suddenly went black. I felt like I was falling down Alice's rabbit hole but in total darkness. When I landed, I opened my eyes to see that I was on the floor. I felt so disoriented. My throat and stomach burned as I helplessly heaved and threw up all over the kitchen floor for what seemed like forever.

I crawled to the bathroom and pulled my self up to the sink. I turned the faucet on and chugged tons of cold delicious water. It slid down my throat, easing the burning sensations, and continued to my stomach. At this point, I felt well enough to stand. I looked in the mirror at myself but to my horror it wasn't me looking back, it was Amy.

I put my hand to my face and so did the reflection of Amy. I looked down to see I was Amy. A surge of panic and sadness came over me. I sat on the bathroom toilet and cried. She was gone, I was here, it didn't feel fair.

"Thank you." I finally said out loud realizing that this is what she wanted. This is what she meant when she said that I didn't belong there along with the other nonsense I didn't understand at the time. A strange gentle wind blew through the enclosed bathroom. I knew it was her and she was okay. She was telling me that she was happy.

The words "go to him" echoed in my mind

Edited by charmingkisses