Building Bridges

Jean and Reg put on a show for Ophelia that night, pretending that everything was just fine and that they were all friends. To Jean's great relief, Ophelia was exhausted and didn't ask too many questions. Her road to recovery was a long and arduous process. Ophelia's legs had been broken in various places, she was lucky that the doctors had been able to save them. She'd been like one of those 1000 piece puzzles, but with a beating heart. She'd also suffered severe trauma to her head and the doctors had to drain some fluid, that's why she'd been in a coma. Thankfully, the only thing left from her head injuries now was her chronic fatigue, which would improve with time, and the hair they had shaved off, which would grow back. But Ophelia's legs? Her parents worried about her finding out that it was very likely for Ophelia to never be able to dance again. It almost broke Jean's heart. How do you tell your child that their hopes and dreams are not going to work out. It was too early to tell yet, but they both prepared for the worst while trying to stay positive for Ophelia.
She would return to school on Monday, most of the class was back already, annoying Georgie with his missing finger and most of Pheli's friends. It would be an understatement to say that Ophelia was nervous. What if they didn't want to play with her while she still needed the chair? And wouldn't it be weird? Weird to go back to a school, knowing that she wouldn't see her favourite teacher again. Passing the choir room which was probably dead and quiet now, dust covering boxes of sheet music and the beautiful black piano. It would look as if Miss Chase had only left for lunch, but Ophelia knew that wasn't true. Little did she know that the accident had brought their little class closer together. The other children were waiting anxiously for the other members of their group to return, clinging to the illusion that things would go back to normal as soon as they were all back together, no matter how battered and bruised they were. Ophelia didn't know yet that they had practically stopped playing. Yes, the entire class had just stopped playing. It was as if the children had grown old over night. Instead of running across the playground, they would gather in a group, huddling like penguins and engage in quiet activities. They only had each other to hold on to. Of course the teachers worried, but they understood that they couldn't fully understand what was going on in their students. But right now, Ophelia thought that she was the only one still coming to terms with what had happened and it gave her a great deal of anxiety. When she lay in bed that night, staring at her ceiling, she pondered about what to do and how to act. During the day, she was reasonably happy, especially because both of her parents were looking after her, but at night she was terrified. While she couldn't really remember the accident, her brain seemed to do its best to make up scenarios or flashbacks of crashes, screams and chaos. It was utterly horrific but she didn't want her parents to worry more than they already did, so she kept quiet.
Downstairs, Jean had sunken into her favourite armchair. What a day. Reg was in the kitchen, making them some tea, it was their ritual to have a cup of tea and discuss the day's events before bed. Jean looked around in her sitting room and sighed. So much reminded her of Cissy. Her best friend. Her best friend who was more like a sister. Her only confidante in all those years. Whether it was the antique china they had bought on a trip to Italy or the lovely quilts Cissy had made them, it all screamed at her. Cissy had been so much more than a friend to her, she'd also been a sister, sometimes a mother and most importantly, a surrogate mother for Pheli. Jean bit her lip. She should have defended her, she should have listened to Cissy when she'd tried to start a conversation. What if it was too late now? What if she'd already lost the only friend that truly mattered to her. Jean sighed. It wasn't just her. What would she tell Pheli? What if Reg and Wilf fell out? What if Wilf reverted to his old ways and Jean wasn't there to help Cissy. Catastrophising had always been one of Jean's specialties and so it was no surprise that she was a nervous wreck by the time Reg returned with their tea. Of course he noticed immediately.
"What is it, love?" He asked gently, he was always so gentle with her these days. He asked, even though he already knew what was bothering her, the same issues had played on his mind all day.
"I was horrible to Cissy, the only real friend I ever had, so what if she doesn't want to be my friend anymore. What if I lost her?" Jean felt tears sting in her eyes. The realisation of what was at stake hit her hard. "Even that dreadful Anne Langley called her, why couldn't I? I had time, especially during the last weeks, I honestly don't even know why and..." She started rambling but Reg stopped her.
"Shshshsh. Jean, listen. You'll call her tomorrow, first thing in the morning. Or maybe second, we don't want to wake her. You'll invite her for tea or something and you'll make up." He gave Jean the most encouraging smile he couldn't muster but judging from her face it didn't work.
"Reggie, it's... There's so much more behind it. She's never been anyone's first choice, her dad..."
"I remember, she mentioned how her parents always favoured her brothers..."
"As I was saying, she was always left out and left behind. Nobody stood up for her until... Well you know. And then I practically ditched her. Didn't defend her because I didn't want to speak against you. I promised her that I wouldn't hurt her the way her parents did and now look at me." It was all too much and Jean started sobbing uncontrollably. "I wish she was here. I wish I could hug her and make things right." It was rare for Jean to be so besides herself. Reg hugged her tight.
"Next time you tell me to shut up. I probably need to hear it anyway when my temper is out of control." He told her. Reg felt bad, although he wasn't too worried about Cissy and Jean, they would make up eventually. Wilf would be a challenge though, simply because he didn't really do second chances and knew how to hold a grudge. It took a long time for Jean to calm down that night. It was hard for her to admit that she needed someone. Neither Jean nor Reg slept much, they just lay in bed, next to each other and stared at the ceiling, they were together and yet they were alone with their thoughts.