6

~Still Matt's POV~

Turning the key in the lock, I let myself in to my house. Dumping my blazer over the back of the dining room chair, I grab a glass of water and started to gulp at it.

 I go and sit down on my sofa. As I pull my tie loose and undo the first two or three buttons on my shirt, I pick up Gone with the wind. One of my favourite books.

I can't get Jess of my mind. Every time I close my eyes, I see her pretty brown ones looking back at me. I swear, she is the most beautiful girl in the world.

I'm not hungry, but I am shattered. It was my first day at a new job. Putting on my track suit bottoms, I lay on my bed and flick the TV on. Netflix.  I'm a bit of an addict. I start to watch a bit of White Collar.

The next thing I know, I'm falling asleep with the image of Jess's beautiful face imprinted on my mind.

****

Knock, knock, knock. My eyes flutter open. Rolling over, I see that it's half past one in the morning. Who's knocking on my door at this time? My TV has gone into stand by so I flick it off completely as I make my way to the front door.

Half way down stairs, I smell her. It's Jess. Now panicking, I run downstairs and yank the door open to see her there with tears on her cheeks.

"I'm so sorry, Matt. I didn't know what to do. I went to get a glass of water and he stumbled in drunk. " She chokes out. "He started to beat me so I grabbed the rolling pin and hit him with it!" The tears are coming faster now and I pull her inside and hold her against my permanently warm chest. The perks of being a wolf.

"Don't worry, Jess. " I comfort her as I shut the door and pull her to my living room. I sit her down and she hides her face in her hands.

Kneeling in front of her, I take hold of her chin and pull her head up so she is looking at my eyes. My love for this girl is growing stronger by the second. Wait, love? I ask myself. It must be the mate thing. We were made for each other, literally.

Thousands of years ago, the first werewolf was born. It had something to do with the full moon, there was also an eclipse that day to. This boy was born at the exact time of the eclipse, on the day of the full moon. The first werewolf. He was the only werewolf that could turn humans in to them, the rest were created through bloodlines. He made it so that every werewolf would have a soul mate. One they literally couldn't live without.  The human would be naturally drawn to the werewolf as they were made for each other.

I'd clearly found my mate but there was nothing I could do about it.

"Jess, you were only defending yourself. " I tell her as she looks deep into my ice blue eyes. Slowly, I stand up and sit next to her, pulling her into my side. Stroking her hair. She seems to keep me calm.

That's something else about a werewolf and their mate. They listen to each other. They can keep each other calm. They have a desire to please each other.

If Jess wasn't here, I would have murdered her father by now.

I watch the full moon as Jess rests on my chest. Sometimes I'm so glad that I can choose when I change into my wolf. I don't change on a full moon like the myth says.

I listen to Jess's breathing. The steady pace is so relaxing. I know that she must be sleeping. Carefully, I take her in my arms and stand up, taking her to my sister's room.

When I place her on the bed, I take off her shoes and pull the covers over her. I turn quietly to exit the room but a soft hand grabs my arm.

"Don't go." She whispers but my acute wolf hearing allows me to pick up on it. Getting in to the bed next to her, I hold her against my bare chest and she snuggles into me.

This is dangerous. We can't risk someone finding out that she has spent the last two nights in my house.

I don't even know if I will or how to explain to Jess that she is my mate. How could I explain that to someone else?

Holding Jess close to me, I kiss her forehead. This girl has no idea how much she means to me. She rolls over so that her back is against my chest. My arms are around her waist and my nose is pressed into her hair,  inhaling her luscious scent, as I slowly nod off.