Ch. 44

The funeral was about a week later.

The guilt was practically eating Remus alive. This was all his fault. If he hadn't made Patton help him with his stupid plan, none of this would be happening. He wished he could take it all back. Wished that he could have a second chance.

Roman hadn't taken the news well either. Immediately, his eyes widened in horror, and a look that Remus couldn't quite pinpoint was in his eyes. He thought it was anger, but assumed he was wrong.

Mrs.. Libum had insisted on an open casket funeral, claiming that it was so 'Eric can see what he's done.'

The reception was very silent. Haunting, even. Everyone's faces were grim, melancholy practically oozing out of them.

"I can't do this anymore, Ree. I can't." Patton told him quietly, sat in his dining room. "Emile, my sweet little brother, he's gone. I just--,I can't help you anymore, I'm sorry."

"I get it." Remus responded. "You don't need to apologize. Just take all the time you need, okay? I'm here for you."

Remus glanced to his right, seeing Roman stood in a corner. He was looking over all the people in the house, brow furrowed and a tight frown on his face.

"Patton Libum?"

Remus' attention snapped to a woman who seemed to be in her early forties.

"I'm Ms. Kravy, I'm--or well, I was Emile's teacher." She pursed her lips. "I'm so sorry, if I had known that--"

"You!"

All eyes shot to Mrs. Libum, who had a large scowl on her face. She marched up to them and slapped Ms. Kravy in the face. "How dare you show your face here?!"

"I-I'm sorry--"

"You killed him! You killed my little boy!" Mrs. Libum shrieked. "You murderer! I could sue you for everything you own! You stupid bitch!"

"Blaire, that's enough." Mr. Libum snapped, taking a sip of his wine. "Everyone's miserable already, why do you find it necessary to make things worse?"

"Do you even care?!" Mrs. Libum screamed at him. "You've always been a cold, heartless monster! You know that?!"

"You watch your tongue." Mr. Libum snarled. "You're making a scene, Blaire. Calm down."

"My son is dead!" Mrs. Libum sobbed. "You do not get to tell me to calm down!"

"Mrs. Libum," Remus began, seeing that this whole confrontation was stressing everyone out. "Emile wouldn't want you to be like this over him, right?"

"Emile would've wanted to be alive." Mrs. Libum hissed, glaring at him. "If Eric had just picked up Emile like he said he would, we wouldn't be here right now. I'd be holding my son in my arms, while he told me exciting stories about his day."

She turned her glare towards Mr. Libum. "But instead I had to watch my son be buried into the ground. Do you have any idea how that feels, Eric?"

"He was my son too." Mr. Libum growled.

"Let's not fight, please." Rian stepped foward, placing a hand on Remus' shoulder. "This is no one's fault except for the person who killed him. Don't take your anger out on each other."

"He's right," Virgil spoke up from the other side of the room.

---

"Remus," Rian murmured, driving home. He was keeping his voice low, since Roman had fallen asleep in the back.

"Yeah?" Remus replied.

Rian reached into his pocket, and handed Remus something. His eyes never left the road, but Remus somehow still felt the intensity in his gaze.

He looked down at what he was given. "My phone?"

"People are dropping like flies, Ree." Rian sighed. "And I don't want to see you end up like Emile. I'd rather die. I'm giving it back. Only call me if it's an emergency, okay? Otherwise, have Roman call instead."

"Okay." Remus nodded. "Thanks, dad."

"Speaking of Roman," Rian began. "He seemed really...off today. Do you think he's okay?"

"I don't know." Remus sighed. "He's been pretty distant lately."

"You've both been pretty distant." Rian huffed. "You're both pulling away from me, and I don't know what to do."

"I'm sorry, dad. I'm just...worried." Remus glanced back at Roman. "He's looked so tired lately. I don't think he's been sleeping."

"Do...do you think that boy, Virgil, has anything to do with it?" Rian asked.

"Virgil?" Remus frowned. "I hadn't even considered that."

"Why not?" Rian asked.

"They've just been so lovey-dovey lately, I didn't bother asking." Remus mumbled. "Maybe I should."

"Later." Rian told him. "Let him rest for a bit."

"Right," Remus sighed, pursing his lips. "Hey, dad?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you think we could make a quick detour?"

---

Remus sat down next to the bed. "Hey, Lo." He mumbled, smiling weakly. "I don't know if you can hear me, but...life has sucked so much lately."

As expected, Logan didn't reply. His eyes stayed shut, eyelashes resting delicately on his cheeks.

"Patton and I have been looking for the person who attacked you and Janus. I know your dad has been working super hard, does he visit often?" Remus asked. "Right, you can't respond. Sorry. Well, uh, we all miss you. We miss you a lot. I hope you recover soon."

Remus thought he saw the smallest twitch in Logan's fingers, but came to the conclusion that it was his imagination.

Remus felt awkward, talking to himself. "Uh, Susan's such a bitch." He stammered out awkwardly. "She's been spreading all these rumors about Ro. Oh my god, you won't believe what she said about me!"

So Remus talked, and from somewhere far away, Logan listened.

A/N:

When I said "far away" I meant figuratively.