o r a n g e

swinging gently on a new morning, my eyes gradually shut as my skin soaks in the sun whole.

it's a bright morning, with the summer at its peak and the leaves bright, the warmth of the day abound.

the warmth tingles with my skin, grazing up my neck like the lips of a lover, my eyes too meek to make contact with its source.

the warmth is bountiful, just like the blooming marigolds growing in my garden below, my skin now glowing fire.

the fire seems to go into my heart, tepid at first, but finally igniting the dormant walls of passion, so rendered dull by the mundane existence of life, one day ahead of another.

the sun hides for a moment and it snaps my attention, feeling the absence already prick.

my eyes look on, expectant, for the light to return as my skin burns stronger in need.

in need?

since when did I need my skin to feel like fire to feel alive?

i look ahead after a sigh, looking for something else to inspire in the meanwhile.

the trees seem to co-exist in harmony with the birds, the sky as tranquil as the winds.

everyone is alive in silence except me.

my skin now screams at me to bring back the light, that one ray of hope that seemed to penetrate the walls of despair in a long time.

my eyes burn, whether from heat or hopelessness i know not, until I feel another blast of light hit my skin.

my skin rejoices at the discomfort this time.

happy at the sensation of feeling alive once again; of being part of a world where everything remains alive in tranquility.

i look dead into the eye of the source this time and it blinds me.

not more than i have been in these years, but enough to undo the ignorance of the things i took for granted.

i look down at the garden and see the marigolds sway again, in rhythm to the swing i am curled up in, a smile creeping up my face.

warmth never felt so good.

🍁

- the warmth of living experienced by a prisoner of the world

🍁