Chapter Twenty-Three

Sadie

You know when you think that you're invincible? Nothing will ever touch you. That kind of thing will never happen to someone like me; that only happens to other people.

No one is invincible. Things will touch you. Hurt you. Those 'other people' could easily be you. If you're not careful, they will become you. You will be the one people talk about, not them. You will be the reason why your close friends and family cry, not them.

Don't think it won't happen to you. I didn't think it'd happen to me. It'd already happened to Blaine; it wouldn't happen to me.

I was wrong.

It happened to me.

...

Pain. So much pain. Flashes of light were everywhere—people talking all around me.

"Call 911."

"Is she okay?"

"Get her out of there!"

"What happened?"

"She didn't see me. I don't think she saw anyone or anything."

"Get her help!"

"Save her!"

Why was everyone screaming about this 'her' person? Was I the 'her'? Were they talking about me? What was happening? Where was I? Panic began to cease me, yet, I couldn't move. I wasn't moving.

My head was pressed against the door. The door was being moved away. My head slumped only to be caught by a hand. I didn't recognize the owner of this hand; I didn't remember anything.

"She's alive!" a man screamed out. "Get an ambulance over here!"

Why did he sound so surprised I was alive? I was a fighter, always had been. Why did I need an ambulance?

The man brushed something off me. "Hey, kiddo," he smiled at me, I think, he was so blurry. "You're going to be okay." Why was he talking to me like I was a kid? Kiddo?

I wanted to scream at him, beg him to answer my questions. But I couldn't open my mouth. If he weren't holding my head, it'd slump against nothing. I managed to twist my nose and smelled something unpleasant. I was not too fond of this smell, never had.

Blood.

It was everywhere. I felt it all over me. If I glanced around, I knew I'd see it. But I didn't see anything, opening my eyes was one thing. Opening my eyes and seeing things was another.

Jasper. Where was Jasper? Was he here? Did he know what was happening to me? Would he tell me?

Wait. He wasn't here, and he wasn't going to be here. He'd gotten on the plane back home to his parents. He wouldn't know what was happening to me. He wouldn't be there for me; he wouldn't be the one to help me through this.

My parents! Shit! They would know what happened to me. Were they worried about me? Were they on their way? Would they call Jasper? Would they make him come back home to me?

So many questions with no answers. My brain was spazzing through afterthought. It was becoming a mess. I was a mess.

Another figure joined the man that was holding my head. She spoke though I didn't understand what she was saying. Her voice sounded sweet. Her hands joined the man; they were trying to free me from the seat I was sticking to. I was sticking to a seat. Why was I sticking to a seat? Was it because of the blood? Was the blood like glue, keeping me here, not wanting me to be free again?

I wanted my mom and my dad. I wanted Jasper. I was tired of feeling this pain. I was tired of being alone.

My seatbelt was undone. Hands were gingerly roaming over my body, freeing it from various places where it had been stuck. Then the hands stopped moving, larger flashes of pain flared through my body.

I wanted to scream. Maybe I was already screaming. White covered my vision. Gone was the blurriness. Here came the nothing. The void. The white void. Was this a portal to the other side? Was I dying? Was I already dead? Was I on my way to join Blaine wherever he was? Was I going to be reunited with my brother?

Blaine. I was so close to seeing him again. If I was dying and I got to see Blaine again, maybe it was worth it. It was worth it. Flashes of my mom making me smile while I did a small fashion show in my new dress for the school dance. A flash of my father clutching the door handle with a forced grin during my first driving lesson. Carly crying tears of joy when she offered me the internship with her at the university. Riding bikes with Blaine. A horrible yet funny attempt to cook with Jasper.

I'd never get to ride bikes with Blaine again. But I would be able to show off a dress to my mother again. I would be able to drive in a car with my dad again; I'd be the one to cry tears of joy when I showed Carly my master's degree, we'd laugh and plan out the possibility of my getting a doctorate if I ever wanted to go further into the field, I'd hopefully have a better attempt at cooking with Jasper again.

I couldn't die. Not yet. There was still so much for me to do, for me to see, for me to experience. I couldn't leave them behind. I wouldn't leave them behind. They needed me like I needed them. Jasper was right; I did need him around. I needed him around more than I knew.

"Jasper."

Both of the voices next to me stopped.

The woman gasped. "Honey." She yelled then. "Her leg is pinned; we need help to free her from this car! She's talking!"

"Jasper."

I felt a hand on the top of my head. "We'll find this Jasper, honey." It belonged to the woman. "You'll be okay."

"Jasper."

"Yes, yes, we'll find him for you."

My eyes began to close; I began to feel nothing. I was losing my fight. I couldn't lose this fight. I had to see everyone again, had to see him again. Jasper. Maybe I was on my way to see the other him. Perhaps I'd already lost this fight. Maybe Blaine was calling me; perhaps he was tired of being alone and wanted the company.
"Stay with us, kiddo!" the man's voice was urgent, willing me to stay awake, to stay alive. But I couldn't do it. My brother was calling me; he was alone and wanted company.
I didn't blame him. I wanted to see him.

So I saw him.

Please vote/comment/follow if you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you for reading!