Chapter Twelve: Protective

Jerome sat on his balcony with a cigarette, he snuck out of her room when she was asleep, he knew she'd be mad about it but he really couldn't get past his slight fear of being the first thing someone sees in the morning, when he was younger and still had a good looking face, he'd kiss hundreds of girls and most of the time stay through the night to the next day and pretend to take their numbers but would never called them back, he missed being someone that girls would look at and fall for, granted he knew how to use the right words and managed to get girls, but he missed his looks, he flicked the cigarette butt and stopped when he heard something, he walked into his bathroom and heard Nyssa throwing up in her room next to his, he sighed and walked out of his room and into hers, he leaned down and rubbed her back, she jumped slightly but relaxed when she saw who it was and continued to throw up.

When she was done she leaned back to catch her breath and Jerome flushed the toilet for her, he helped her up and she started brushing her teeth "you do that every morning?" "so far, like clockwork" she replied and rinsed her mouth out "does it hurt?" "it did the first time, because I hadn't thrown up in so long, but now I'm getting used to it" he nodded and leaned against the bathroom door frame, looking her up and down, his eyes fell on her stomach in the mirror, he tried to imagine a world where he wasn't who he was and it was just him and his newly pregnant girlfriend.. maybe wife, it was a nice thought, but it wasn't him, he didn't want that to be the rest of his life "whatcha thinkin about?" Nyssa asked standing in front of him "what my life would be like if I was just a normal person" "and how did you like the outcome?" "it's not me, and too boring for me" she nodded her head.

"I wonder how going to work with a baby on my hip, will go" "you're still gonna work?" "what else would I do? you can't leave a baby alone, all my friends work and somehow I have the feeling that you won't be babysitting" he nodded his head "Miah's already obsessed with the kid, I'm sure he would" "of course I'd ask him sometimes, but being a single mother means I have to do it all on my own, that includes looking after it on my own" "why do you even wanna keep it?" "why do you murder people?" "I love it-" "that's my exact reason, it may not be born yet, but I already love this baby with my entire heart, I know you don't know what it feels like, but I already have a connection to my baby girl or boy" "I can't feel what you do for it, I'm sorry but I just can't" "women become mothers when they fall pregnant, men become fathers when they first see their babies, I won't believe that you don't care for it until you meet it, and then decide" "who says I'm gonna meet it?" "we live in the same house Jerome, we won't be able to avoid each other forever, especially with a baby crawling around" he nodded "that's a good point" "I won't force you, but I'm telling you, if we're in the same house you won't be able to just hide away, and you'll treat my child with respect, I don't care if you hate it or not, you will never upset it, be in its life or don't be, but you're its father Jerome, whether you like it or not and you will never make it feel unwanted around you" she said sternly, Jerome nodded and looked at her lustfully, he didn't know if it was just her or the way she bossed him around or if it was the way she was already protecting the baby even if it's from him, either way it completely turned him on, he pulled her by her waist into him and cupped her cheek she looked at him curiously and he pressed his lips into hers.