Chapter 26: A Change of Pace - April 4

That demanding sun was encroaching on her darkness again. Pulling her into the light of day. The light of a day she didn't want to face. For today was the day appointed for her to confront Blaze. She didn't want to do it. She didn't wish to discover that all her dreams had been dashed again. She didn't want to unveil another deceitful man. She couldn't handle the heartbreak.

Couldn't she just stay in bed forever?

But that bothersome sun was insisting that she could not. She must rise and face this day just as she had all the others for the past two years. Why did today feel so much harder to face than a Monday even a month ago had?

She knew why.

She'd gotten her hopes up. She'd begun to believe in love again. It was all Blaze's fault. And that of her secret admirer. Unless they were the same person. In which case, it was all Blaze's fault.

Before Blaze, she had been miserable. But it had been a misery that completely centered around Owen. Now she had a new misery that revolved around Blaze. If Blaze would hide the truth from her too, then what man was safe?

Was she destined to spend the rest of her life alone? Eating mint chocolate chip ice cream out of the carton while she cried her way through twenty seasons of the most tragic love stories she could find on TV?

Would she never ride her swing ever again? Had Blaze also ruined it for her? He'd given her their first kisses on that swing. If he turned out to be a jerk too, how would she ever recover her joy in that flying seat?

She groaned. She didn't want to face today.

She was running late. For being early. She needed to stop by Mr. Taylor's office before she started work today.

She grabbed her purse and ran out the front door. After she'd turned and locked it, she spun around and jogged forward. Only to come to an abrupt halt.

Her mouth dropped open.

Someone had cut a huge heart out of a piece of red poster board. This time the poem was written with a black calligraphy pen. She sighed. She didn't have time to read it now. She pulled out her phone and snapped a picture of it.

She glanced around for a rose but found none. She bent to retrieve the paper heart before running to her car. She tossed the poem onto the passenger seat as she climbed into the car. Then she started it and sped off towards work. At least, work would take her mind off her troubles for a while.

"Mr. Taylor?" Ruby knocked on the frame of the doorway leading into his office. "May I speak with you for a moment?"

Work didn't start for another fifteen minutes. She had arrived early on this Monday morning to return his change to him.

His face lit up as he lifted his head to peer up at her from his seat behind his desk. "Ruby! Why, hello! Yes! Come in. What can I do for you, my dear?"

Then he gushed, "Oh! Stephanie said you're helping her with our daughter's graduation party. Thank you so much! You have taken all the pressure off my wife."

Ruby smiled at him. "I'm happy to help, sir." She opened her purse. "I came to return your money, Mr. Taylor. The box of chocolates cost only about fifty dollars. So, here's the other fifty." She held the bill out towards him.

He just stared at it for a moment before meeting her gaze once more. "What about the vase, the baby's breath, the eight white roses?"

"You noticed those, sir?"

"Yes. Stephanie said something about them being years to grow on...or some such nonsense."

Ruby's lips quirked into a grin before she bit it back. She cleared her throat. "The florist gave me all the materials for the bouquet. The white roses were a gift from her to your wife. With that blessing attached to them. 'Eight to grow on for the golden years ahead.' I think she thought your wife should get an even four dozen. One dozen for every decade of marriage maybe? I'm not really sure." She frowned.

"No matter," he waved his hand to dismiss such inconsequential talk. "But why didn't she charge you anything?"

"I have no idea. I told her about my roses, and she just wanted to help. She said to tell you that I had found favor with her."

Mr. Taylor just stared at her. "You have an extraordinary effect on people, do you know that?"

She simply continued to hold his gaze. What on earth could she say to such a compliment?

"I think we have been totally wasting your abilities on the fourteenth floor. Donovan can find himself a new personal assistant. How would you like to work in the lobby from here on out?"

Her heart sank. "Answering phones and greeting people?"

She was being demoted. She wondered what kind of a decrease in pay she'd be receiving. She hadn't made a ton at her old job. She didn't have too far to fall, did she? Thankfully, she had no house payment, or she'd be in trouble.

She swallowed.

"Ruby, I'd like to create a new position for you. You would spend the mornings greeting my employees and welcoming our customers as they enter the building. You know, guiding them to the right place. Giving them an encouraging word. Maybe a rose sometimes."

As she furrowed her brow in confusion, he hastened to add, "The company would pay for them, of course. You would just hand them out."

She nodded as he continued, "In the afternoon, I would have you head to the fifth floor. That's where my activities director works. You would report to her. I want to put you personally over all the office parties. You would be our event planner.

"We have about twelve parties a year companywide. You would get to plan them all. And any major events our company hosts as well. There are at least four of those a year.

"What do you say? Will you be our party planner and company greeter? I think I'll give you the title, head of hospitality."

She simply stared in astonishment at him. He was creating a new job for her? Why?

"Oh! I forgot to add that the position comes with a twenty percent raise."

A twenty percent raise to do her dream job? That loosened her tongue.

"Yes!" She bobbed her head. "Thank you, Mr. Taylor! I will do it! I'll take the job. Thank you so much!"

He grinned at her. "Thank you, Ruby." He glanced down at the fifty-dollar bill still nestled in her palm. "And keep the change. You did me a big favor by taking those flowers to my wife. Consider that your tip."

Her face lit up. "Thank you, sir. That's immensely kind of you. I better head to work. Who do I report to on the fifth floor?"

"Amy Schmidt."

"Will do, sir. Thank you, sir."

Ruby's heart was racing as she headed for the elevator. She was breathless. Today was almost more excitement than she could handle already.

What changes would this evening bring? She was afraid to find out.