Chapter Twenty-Eight

Ashton's (Hawk) POV

God, I'm such an idiot! How could I let it slip out again?

"Thank you" she says. That is the last thing I thought she was going to say.

"For what?" is all I can think to say because there is nothing to be thankful for. For forcing you into a hug while you were having a panic attack? For calling you all sorts of names that you don't even recognize and make you feel uncomfortable?

She surprises me even more by answering with "For tonight."

I barely hear the rest of what she's saying because I'm so caught up in the way she looks. She is gorgeous: her tanned skin, black hair and blue eyes are all stunning. Her face has thinned and there is a hauntedness about her eyes, but the June I knew and loved is still there, but I know she'll never recover fully.

Once again stuck in my own head, I don't realize her hand sliding across the table and taking my hand in between hers. My heart flutters at the simple gesture, but it means the world to me that she would do this. She studies my face briefly and a look of contemplation flashes across her face. God, I wish I knew what she was thinking. I will get in that head of hers one day, but for now I'm glad she's just talking at all.

"Now" she says, pulling me out of my reverie, again. "About that nickname."

Oh jeez, I'm in a for a world of hurt aren't I...

"Yeah?" is the only dumb reply I can come up with.

"Why do you keep saying it?"

"I'm sorry, June. I don't mean to. I promise." She nods. "But ever since the day you were captured, I have felt the overwhelming urge to protect you and take care of you. So, maybe that's where "babygirl" comes from."

She thinks about it then just nods. "What about the other name you said you called me."

"What? Kitten?"

"Yeah, that one!"

"I know you won't believe this, but you were our leader, June. And your undercover identity was kind of like a cat woman."

She just stares, so I continue.

"You wore a sexy navy blue jumpsuit and black mask," I say, remembering the good old days. "Anyway, the name kitten came from there. Our job is very stressful and often life-threatening, but you were so capable of taking care of yourself and of all of us that you loved the name kitten because it made you feel safe and cherished."

Silence.

She doesn't say anything for what feels like an hour.

Finally, she takes a deep breath and says, "Nobody called me kitten in the pit. So, I guess you can still call me that."

"Oh, June, you don't have to - "

"I want you to. You feel more comfortable calling me that anyway. I can tell by the way you talked about it. And besides, I think I'd like to feel safe and cherished again," she quotes me.

"Alright then. But you have to tell me if it starts to make you feel uncomfortable, alright?"

"Okay."

"Promise?" I lean forward and put my elbow on the table, extending my arm towards her with my pinky finger sticking out.

She links her tiny pinky finger with mine. "Promise."

Our linked fingers linger for a bit before she pulls away and looks down, brusher her hair from her face.

"Hey, June," i say softly. She brings her eyes back to mine. "Thank you?"

It's her turned to be surprised. "For what?"

"For giving me, the team and just this whole thing a chance. I know how difficult it all is for you, but you are so brave, even now when you are so unsure of yourself."

She blushes.

"And thank you for coming back."