When Love Hurts-Chapter Tweleve- You Broke My Heart

It was morning when i woke up, my head spinning. I lifted my head and saw that i was lying on Dan's chest all night. He opened his eyes and turned worried the next second.

"Are you okay?" I nodded my head as Dan started to sit up. He rubbed my back and stood up.

"I'll get you some aspirins." He stood up and walked out of my room. I lifted myself up from my bed and started downstairs to follow him. I was reaching the kitchen when i heard my front door banging. It was Bruce. I stood rooted to my spot, my eyes tearing up again.

"Ashley! Please open the door! I know you're in there!" Dan walked out of the kitchen with a glass of water and passed it to me with the pills before walking to the door.

"Back off, Layne." Dan hissed through gritted teeth when he swung opened the door, revealing Bruce who looked messed up. Pam was behind him and Dan let her step in, blocking Bruce who tried to walk in.

"Please let me speak to her." Bruce looked at me pleadingly, asking Dan. Dan pushed Bruce's chest and held a finger to his face.

"Don't go near her anymore. I swear I'll break your legs. If it isn't because of Ashley you wouldn't be standing here." I turned my face away when Bruce continued to looked at me with his eyes red.

"Ashie.. Please. Listen to me, it was an accident!" I turned my head to him, my anger boiling up. Dan was pushing Bruce with a hand who was trying to lean in.

"NO! I'm not hearing any of your lies anymore! You can say there's nothing going on with Catherine but how will you explain the lie you told me about going to Harvard? You're a liar Bruce. I hate you!" I screamed and ran upstairs, ignoring Bruce's face that had turned white. Pam followed me into my room, closing the door softly. I screamed into my pillow, crying and shaking my head at the pain. Why did he lie to me? And why did he get drunk and hooked up with the girl that i detest the most? How can i believe he wasn't lying that Catherine was an accident? They hadn't done it but how i know that they didn't before? I screamed loudly into my pillows again as Pam smoothed me with her hand. I stopped screaming and heard some shouts between him and Dan before it quietened down. There were footsteps outside my door and i lifted my head as it opened. Dan appeared in my view, his expression softened when he saw my face.

"He's gone." I nodded my head as Dan walked to my bed and sat down beside me. Pam patted my back as sobs started in my throat. Both of them hugged me when i was crying full blown again. The whole day, both of them took turns to force liquids or food down my throat as i laid there like a stone. My Dad knew the situation and left me alone, he knew i hated talking about stuff like this. I was sleeping or crying, waking up to cry or slept after i cried enough. It was a different kind of pain when it was Bruce. It felt like my soul was tearing up, dying and screaming the same time. I didn't knew until now that i loved him so deeply. I pulled my lips into a thin line and laughed. Yeah, laughing and crying at the same time. I was stupid. Always am. Sunday passed and i skipped school for Monday. Dan chased Bruce away when he came over to my house for a few times over the past two days. I covered my ears whenever i heard his voice or blasted music in my room. Finally i had enough of crying and prepared for school on Tuesday.

"Hey, Ashley." I slammed my locker loudly and turned to face Catherine.

"What do you want?" She smiled at me and pulled her eyebrows together.

"I'm so sorry for what happened that day. I didn't meant to seduce your boyfriend. Who isn't i think, since that night." I clenched my fists tightly and stared at her. I was trying to control my anger but i lost all senses when she said the word, boyfriend. I stepped back a little and turned my body before slamming a fist into her face.

"You shut up and don't go near me anymore." I glared at her with madness in my eyes who was holding her cheek, sitting on the floor. She was shocked and cowered when i started to lift my leg up. I was really going to kick her before Bruce appeared in front of me.

"Ashley, stop." I glared at him, his face a mixture of emotions playing on it. He grabbed my arms while i struggled.

"Let go of me!" I shouted but he shouted back.

"NO! Until you listened to me," I shook my head vigorously, trying to yank my body away from him. "Please, I didn't meant to lie to you about going to Harvard. I didn't know what to do. I tried to persuade my Dad but he wouldn't listen to me. I really didn't want to hide it from you.. I.. I don't want to hurt you Ashley."

"It's over, Bruce. The deed is done, with that bitch." I spat out the words viciously and glared at Catherine who stood up and started to back away. I was pulled away from his grip and pushed back as Dan stood protectively in front of me.

"I told you to back off, Layne!" Bruce clenched his jaw as Dan shouted at him. He turned his head away before facing in my direction. I held back my tears and stared back.

"I'm sorry, Ashie.." Bruce directed the words to me and walked away. I couldn't hold my tears any longer and cried in Dan's chest as he hugged me tightly, shooing people who were staring at us. I went into the principal's office and got my results and the contract. We had abided with the contract and got the school's recommendations, thus getting our results faster than other students. I avoided Bruce when he walked in later and he didn't bothered me. I knew he was looking at me as i felt his intense gaze as i left the room. I got home by myself and locked inside the bedroom, listening to music, crying. Days passed and i got messages from Bruce, telling me how sorry he is and wanting me to forgive him. I thought i couldn't cry anymore but my tears always proved me wrong. I pretended when i was around my Dad, joking like in the past. Pam and Dan still didn't believed me but they never said it out loud. I spent more time hanging around at my Dad's office, going out occasionally with Pam and Dan. Pam had helped me to return the gifts that Bruce had brought me when we were together. I couldn't bear to throw them away. Another week and still i hadn't replied to any of Bruce's messages. His messages died down and i could feel the tone starting to go cold. The last day before he was going overseas, i replied to one of his messages.

"We could still be friends, Ashley.. Please forgive me." I pressed reply and starting typing on my phone.

"I've already forgiven you. But we couldn't be friends anymore." I pressed send and lowered my head as a tear slid down my cheek. I shouldn't be so harsh with him right? We could still be friends, but i'm afraid my heart couldn't take it. He didn't say he loved me.

Up Next-

Chp13-Leaving