P R O L O G U E

Y/N POV

Color. A word so familiar yet so strange to me that I can barely speak it's meaning. I live in a world where color doesn't exist...

Unless you've found your soulmate.

When we're born, colors and their corresponding names are unknown to us. The only color we know is grey. The world and the people around us as we view it, are nothing but monochromatic color with different shades of grey.

They say when you meet your soulmate, the grey hue we've once known begins to fade to a vibrant shade of our happiest color. This color can vary, and for a while, it's again, monochromatic. As time goes on with the person, that single color used in various shades begin to fade to new colors, allowing us to see the reality of color. Of course, after meeting our soulmates, the change to see color isn't instant. It takes time. On rare occasions, the colors may fade back to grey if one or both souls have fallen out of love for one another. I never understood this.

Why would it take time?

What if it took too long and you drifted apart?

What if you never met them?

My mother used to answer my questions like she had all the answers. No one truly knows why colors work this way, but she tried.

"Bound by fate," she'd say. "Like the pull of the earth and moon, the land and the tides, like an invisible string tied to your pinkies. No matter how far the distance between you two, you'll always be pulled together with time."

To this day, I've tried my hardest to have faith in her words, yet as time goes by, I feel my hopes slowly slipping away from me. I'm trying to hold onto any faith I have left, for it is also the only remnants of her in my memory that were left behind.

A/N: The progression of this story is going to be slow, as it adds to the plot. In this AU, Y/N lives in a world where we don't see color until we meet out soulmates/fall in love. Credits for this story idea goes to tik tok and all the creators who made mini imagines from this concept.

If you're uninterested, please leave now, if not, I truly hope you enjoy.